R.O.W. Problem

/ R.O.W. Problem #71  
Hire an expensive legal eagle and be done with it; the HOA member is
bound by the rules created by your HOA which he agreed to.
Doesn't sound like there is an HOA. Just a ROW in the deeds.

/ R.O.W. Problem #72  
We love our neighbors like family. Except for "that one" a couple houses over. Even she mellowed out are a couple decades of alcohol and painkillers.
We had the crazy meth lady around the corner from us. She mellowed out when the cops through the book at her.

She didn't mess with my wife and I, but had it out for the elderly couple next door that bordered her property. What would kick it off with the neighbors was when her bamboo would start creeping onto their property and they would cut it back to the property line.

/ R.O.W. Problem #73  
Not much to add, other than if the difficult neighbor is an alcoholic type I would not escalate other than with legitimate legal action. I wouldn't even talk to him.

/ R.O.W. Problem #74  
Why not? Drunks are funny.

But seriously, there have been some amazing recommendations from individuals with first hand experience. Unfortunately it seems everyone is not possible for one reason or another. It's interesting the range of ideas from direct conflict to basically doing nothing. Another interesting thing is that I have read this thread and tried to visualize exactly how this ROW is laid out and I can't even get a whisp of an image of it. I just can't imagine anyone putting a fence up on a driveway that everyone uses. How many property owners access their property before they get to this barrier in the road and how many have to go through it?

/ R.O.W. Problem #75  
Why not? Drunks are funny.

But seriously, there have been some amazing recommendations from individuals with first hand experience. Unfortunately it seems everyone is not possible for one reason or another. It's interesting the range of ideas from direct conflict to basically doing nothing. Another interesting thing is that I have read this thread and tried to visualize exactly how this ROW is laid out and I can't even get a whisp of an image of it. I just can't imagine anyone putting a fence up on a driveway that everyone uses. How many property owners access their property before they get to this barrier in the road and how many have to go through it?
Good question. I was envisioning a road with 15‘ ROW on each side of the road. If the road is only 15’ wide then yes I can see the issue if someone eats up 5’ of it. If it is 15’ on each side the 5’ would bother me less.

/ R.O.W. Problem #76  
Check the laws in your state, pretty straightforward in Texas. Have gone through the foreclosure process for 2 properties in our HOA, takes about a year to get rid of the non-payers. Non-payment is pretty easy to deal with in the courts. Violations a little more difficult, but if the rule is clear, clearly broken and documented, proper notification and time to cure, that is pretty simple as well.

I have extremely limited patience for these people anymore.

/ R.O.W. Problem #77  
All I can offer are stupid questions since I know almost nothing about ROW and HOAs...so I'll be very helpful!
I'm thinking of maybe another solution but to visualize this "14 lot subdivision which maintains a 1.25 mile 40' wide ROW which passes through all the lots.".
An aerial screenshot (Google maps) or just a simple drawing would help. Any subdivision I know of there is a road through then each property has their own individual driveway.
A 40 ft. wide right of way THROUGH each property just doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks.

/ R.O.W. Problem #78  
As a land surveyor I can visualize a couple ways this would look. I’ve laid out a few subdivisions where the road is split equally by the lots. In other words the lot line is in the middle of the road and the road would be 15 feet off each lot.

Another way I’ve seen it done is the road is randomly run. In places it’s 15 feet off of each lot, in other places the 30 feet is entirely on one lot, sometimes even leaving a small piece on the other side of the road.

Having seen this problem before the best way is to build a subdivision with officially dedicated roads and rows and maintained by a township or county road authority.

Also the OP has said there is no HOA. Just something saying each lot owner will chip in to keep the roads up. They just have a kind of unofficial HOA.

/ R.O.W. Problem #80  
The association should put a lien on the property for back association dues and interest accrued. Typically per the charter the association is well within legal rights to do this