Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,021  
I think there lyes part of the problem, why or how could you safely, comfortably drive these gigantic "glampers" if you aren't comfortable/competent backing It up, maybe if you had some training or certifications? Imho.
Worst case we've experienced was with our little tent trailer behind the 4 cyl Trooper, visiting Yellowstone. Great camping rig but no match for what we found there.

Ranger said no more spaces available but ok to park in the pullout near the rest room. 7am we got boxed in by two huge motorhomes trying to turn around, one driver bellowing on his loud PA system and the other driver on the ground trying to show him where he could back up. Both shouting in excited Italian, obviously tourists with rental RV's who had no experience with anything large. Took them a long time to get both rigs turned around. Loudly.

Then later in the day we encountered them again, at two different scenic points blocking anyone from turning off the 2-lane road into pullouts, their rigs were too big to get off the pavement. Just wow.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,022  
I was in Yellowstone NP in 1987--The summer before the big fire in 88. We had a brand-new Toyota Truck-based motorhome. We went to the RV show in Indiana and ordered it there. That thing was small enough to go just about anywhere and we did. My only complaints with it were the small gas tank and low mileage. (We ran the generator for the AC.) And I kept hitting my head on the Cab-over part which was the adult sleeping area. It would still do 70 downhill though. Me the then wife and three kids traveled out west for three weeks. The entire third week was spent at Yellowstone. That was a great place.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,023  
Alexpops
I had a 49 Dodge pickup And a 48 Willes the day I turned 16. I was the first one in line for my test and I took it in a 16 passenger Ford van. I did the 3 point turn first with no problem and that was the end of my test. The officer asked my mom how long have I been driving and she said tractors around 10 years, cars around 5. I was gifted at backing a hay wagon. Up the barn bridge and around the grain bin to the hay mow in one shot most of the time.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,024  
Alexpops
I had a 49 Dodge pickup And a 48 Willes the day I turned 16. I was the first one in line for my test and I took it in a 16 passenger Ford van. I did the 3 point turn first with no problem and that was the end of my test. The officer asked my mom how long have I been driving and she said tractors around 10 years, cars around 5. I was gifted at backing a hay wagon. Up the barn bridge and around the grain bin to the hay mow in one shot most of the time.
My son did it with a RamVan 15Maxi. Today he drives a semi with class-A.

There are not many people like yourself today. Most kids can drive games on their phones at best. :(

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,025  
There are tire chocks stored in the chain box on my trailer. I chock the tires every time.
I put jackstands at the back of the trailer underneath where the ramps are. And I always park on the level when loading the tractor

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,026  
I made sure my sons knew how to back up a trailer when they were little. Got them started with a lawn mower and trailer. I had semi's before they came up with CDL's. all I had to do was apply for the change in license back then.

On the trailer theme. I don't have a trailer to hall my L2501 w FEL & hoe yet. I do some trapping for a local trailer builder and they gave me a price at cost. I just have a few other things I need for my bee business' first.
Just spent a lot on this hive lifter.
1678579394273.png

This will save my back a lot. Each full box is around 80lb.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,027  
I had semi's before they came up with CDL's. all I had to do was apply for the change in license back then.

A lot has changed since the CDL's first came out, I also applied and was "grandfathered" in when I got mine.

OK, Add "Comon Sense" to my post above. Driving Privileges aren't Rights -- maybe necessities to most of us

I agree but there is a country full of people who claim it's their Right.

Annual Medical cert? ... meh, PITA but I'd put up with it & frankly would think that older drivers should be required to do that at "some age" anyway.

Actually I think it should go a step further, instead of showing up at the DMV and putting your money down get your license renewed, everyone should have to take a driving test. PITA, yes, but think of what it could weed out.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,028  
A lot has changed since the CDL's first came out, I also applied and was "grandfathered" in when I got mine.

Actually I think it should go a step further, instead of showing up at the DMV and putting your money down get your license renewed, everyone should have to take a driving test. PITA, yes, but think of what it could weed out.
Yeah I also was grandfathered in. But the schools are not very good. I am the trainer at our place and fail most of them on the drive test. The ones we do hire I find a lot of what they were taught only works in optimal conditions. Get them somewhere tight and they are lost.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,029  

They should have a considerably harder driving test to pass to begin with. All you have to do here is drive around the block without wreaking and you pass.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,030  
Yeah I also was grandfathered in. But the schools are not very good. I am the trainer at our place and fail most of them on the drive test. The ones we do hire I find a lot of what they were taught only works in optimal conditions. Get them somewhere tight and they are lost.

I failed the pre trip twice and not because I didn’t know my way around the truck. The test is extremely detail oriented. I lost points for not describing in detail how to check the oil apposed to just showing them where the dipstick was, I lost points for telling them my fire extinguisher and safety reflectors were behind the seat vs telling them I had a minimum size 10bc fire extinguisher with an in date inspection stamp and at minimum 3 whatever size they’re supposed to be reflectors. I lost points for just turning on the defroster to check it vs feeling for the air to come out. I lost points for not putting my seatbelt on immediately after getting in the truck. I did put it on before the truck ever moved. And probably the leading reason I failed is I listed the wrong air leak down rates for the brakes. I actually listed the correct rate for a combination vehicle but since my trailer was electric brakes they said the rate for a straight truck applied. They weren’t technically wrong but it’s only 1 psi difference and the air gauge in my truck has like 10 psi graduate marks that aren’t precise enough to read 1 psi. The instructor also got mad that I was driving too fast in the parking lot. I never shifted out of 1st gear for the entire parking lot section of the test. I also lost points for changing gears while going across intersections. They weren’t technically wrong on that either but driving the entire length of the intersection in 1st gear isn’t feasible. Once I made it to the driving section on the 3rd trip I passed it the first try.

Last edited: