Diff lock not working.

/ Diff lock not working. #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
The last few times I have tried to use the dif lock it's not working, it will slightly go down but kind of springy but not go to the floor board. I can't tell if it's stuck engaged but I think it might be, j just started thinking this was the case recently and not paid it much attention, j need to see if I can do something to doing both tires, maybe put it against a tree and ease off the clutch in low gear.

Last I remember it working when I stepped on it was probably a year or more ago, but I just use it when I need it and don't pay much attention.

I assume I need to pull the top off the transmission and have a look at it.

Any thoughts?
@California I know you have been into this before do you have any pics down in there for me to look at before I pull the top off? I know you said the fork on yours was worn not letting it lock in.

I have had the three point top off a few times so that's no big deal other than it's heavy and awkward the way it needs to be lifted off.

/ Diff lock not working. #2  
If the differential is locked, both rear wheels will turn and it will be hard to steer left or right. I'd start with the most simple thing which would be to lubricate the engagement just to be sure it isn't binding from rust or dirt, etc.

/ Diff lock not working. #3  
It might just be that the shaft going into the case (from the lever)is rusted and is not moving like it should. Lube it up where it goes into the case and get it moving.

/ Diff lock not working.
If the differential is locked, both rear wheels will turn and it will be hard to steer left or right. I'd start with the most simple thing which would be to lubricate the engagement just to be sure it isn't binding from rust or dirt, etc.
Right I forgot about that. It steers left or right as normal.

/ Diff lock not working.
I will spray the spot where it enters the case, but it pivots down and up a little bit just won't go all the way down to the floorboard like it does when it engages.

/ Diff lock not working. #6  
After your lubricate, I'd try shifting through all the gears including reverse just to see if it loosens anything else up that might be stuck. If it doesn't feel like it's going to engage, don't force it.

/ Diff lock not working.
In the last few months I have shifted through most of the gears, not since I lined obviously. I have prepped the garden with it and used all the gears on the high range and I believe not that long ago I used a few on the low side at least.

/ Diff lock not working. #8  
Is your tractor HST with wet brakes? Mine is and I figure I will never wear the brakes out normally, so I just drag the brakes abit if I need some "diff lock" if I'm in low range doing dirt work in the mud... A trick until you get yours fixed anyways.

/ Diff lock not working. #9  
Step on the diff lever and keep pressure on it, then turn the steering wheel and start going around in a circle. The change in radius of the two tires will allow the gears to line up so that both sides will engage, as one side may not be letting it engage. Worth a try...
David from jax

/ Diff lock not working.
Is your tractor HST with wet brakes? Mine is and I figure I will never wear the brakes out normally, so I just drag the brakes abit if I need some "diff lock" if I'm in low range doing dirt work in the mud... A trick until you get yours fixed anyways.
No. It's not wet brakes. There in a sealed compartment, if there wet for any reason you have a serious problem!:ROFLMAO: