Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #291  
Well, since every last one of us has probably backed a ROPS into an overhead door, and half of us have done the wheelie under a low tree branch thanks to the ROPS on a zero turn… I just keep all ROPS’s down all the time now.

But I have done other stupid things, like heading downhill on damp grass, going forward with a load in the loader bucket, forgetting to engage 4wd first. As soon as that rear gets just a little bit lighter, even with a ballast box or filled tires, you can start freewheeling down the hill at high speed, under the right conditions. DAMHIKT.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #292  
Years ago, was changing oil in personal truck on a slow Saturday at work, and cell phone fell out of shirt pocket. Ran it over when done. So, couple months later, I got smart, and put cell phone on rear bumper when changing oil. Drove down US1 with cell phone on bumper, and lost it somewhere... looked around several times, never found it.
I thought everyone had learned by now that the best place to leave a tool or other valuable item is on top of a tire. Particularly a rear tractor tire. “Oh lookie, it came with a tool shelf.” 🙄

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #293  
Years ago, was changing oil in personal truck on a slow Saturday at work, and cell phone fell out of shirt pocket. Ran it over when done. So, couple months later, I got smart, and put cell phone on rear bumper when changing oil. Drove down US1 with cell phone on bumper, and lost it somewhere... looked around several times, never found it.
Sorry. I feel the pain.

My dad did that once with an heirloom gold watch from his father. He remembered it about a third of a mile down the country road. We looked for it for hours to no luck. It was a teachable moment for the kids, but I still feel badly for my dad.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have forgotten how high the FEL is when going under a barn overhang. Usually, it is because I just turned around in a cramped area and needed to clear a fence with the FEL to make the turn...

All the best,

Peter

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #295  
So - this is an interesting question.

At the farm we are pretty isolated and I need to go places you cannot see or hear from the house. Mowing, bush hogging, cutting up limbs, all the usual stuff. Often, I’m at the farm by myself.

My wife and kids INSIST I take the phone. What if I get hurt? Just a bunch of what if’s? It could be critical to be able to call for help.

Also, my wife says, what if she or one of the kids gets hurt? Don’t I want to know ASAP v. 5-8 hours later when I get back to the house or barn? How would I feel if after 5 hours of working around at the farm I get back and my son has a message she was in a car accident?

I’d prefer NOT to have the phone simply because I’ve “lost” it several times. It’s a pain to go looking for the thing.

But, I see their points. So, I take the phone. It can be made so it only rings for their calls. Other calls don’t make a peep. Only issue is not to lose it!

MoKelly
I bought a $ 4.00 phone case, pouch, holder thing on the mark down aisle. Fashioned a string to wear it around my neck. No more broke phones. Can hang it somewhere if I don't need to wear it. Has been a good solution. If it starts raining, drop inside my shirt.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #296  
I thought everyone had learned by now that the best place to leave a tool or other valuable item is on top of a tire. Particularly a rear tractor tire. “Oh lookie, it came with a tool shelf.” 🙄

No, no, no, nein, nyet, negative!!

Never put tools on a tire. That space is for sunglasses only!!

Telling for a friend.

RSKY

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #297  
Done that with a phone. It survived but in much rougher condition. Took a while to remember where I set it

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #298  
Many years ago when cell phones first came out, my boss gave me one of the Motorola “brick” phones to use on a job. As I was getting into My Jeep Cherokee with a hand full of stuff, I put the phone on the roof of the Jeep while loaded the other stuff. I forgot it was here and took off. After a couple of miles, my brain clicked back into consciousness and I pulled over. Looked on the roof and the phone was still there. The Jeep had rails for a roof rack and they didn’t let the phone slide off.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #299  
Back when I was first learning to hunt, I 'got' to use dad's old 16g single shot. My younger brother and I had been 'playing' with it and had slid musket balls in the barrel as we pretended to fight off imaginary forces from our fort. Of course, we broke the pin. Fast forward a few days and I was duck hunting with dad. In some areas back home, puddle jumping is a thing. We hopped out and I drew a bead on a duck and surprisingly it didn't fire. The primer had a light dent in it. Dad was not amused.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #300  
300 posts!

Do we have a winner yet?

:)

Bruce