Lost the key

/ Lost the key #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
Soon after I bought my BX about 4 years ago, the ignition switch started acting up and wouldn't send power to the started solenoid. I bought a replacement off Amazon, and it worked fine until last year when the key could be removed in the run position. I didn't think too much about it, but last Monday when I finished mowing the yard, the key and fob were gone, fortunately I have a couple of extra keys, so I stuck a spare in and shut it off. This time I bought a replacement from Messick's, my local shop was out of stock, and I replaced it on Thursday. They are really proud of those things, $89.12 proud. At least now the key can't be removed in the run position. I'll probably find the missing key, unless it got picked up by the mower and destroyed, although I never heard a noise if it did. I think I'll make a lanyard and put the key on it, then loop it over the throttle lever so it can't get away.

/ Lost the key #2  
I recommend that solution exactly -- the lanyard around something handy like the throttle handle. I have 3 B2150s and one of them lets the key slide out no matter what position it is in so it stays in the switch with the leash around the throttle handle. Those keys are not "keys" in the sense of locking something. Essentially all Kubota keys fit. Every brand I know of does the same thing. I know of none that charge the hideous unjustifiable price for new keys as Kubota. I think I paid $12 for a pair of them the last time. The $89 is absurd and the decimal point is off. I have never tried swapping the Kubota keys from tractor to tractor to find out if the one that lets the key go in and out regardless of position is a KEY problem or a SWITCH problem. Always assumed it was the switch.

/ Lost the key #3  
I had a Yamaha motorcycle which did that. To make matters worse, it would fall out while you were riding down the road. One morning before daylight I felt something hit my leg. Reaching down I picked up the key which had slid down the tank. Did I mention that it was my only key? A replacement had to be ordered from the factory, and they wanted an arm and a leg for it.

/ Lost the key #4  
I think I'll make a lanyard and put the key on it, then loop it over the throttle lever so it can't get away.
Why do you need a lanyard if you bought a new ignition switch that prevents the key from coming out when you’re in the run position? Seems like you could’ve done that before you spent the 82 bucks to buy the new ignition switch…

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Lost the key #6  
My used Kubota last Summer. Seller said I have a spare key I'll give you as soon as I find it. Well I found it first under the seat in a hide-a-key thing :D

/ Lost the key
Why do you need a lanyard if you bought a new ignition switch that prevents the key from coming out when you’re in the run position? Seems like you could’ve done that before you spent the 82 bucks to buy the new ignition switch…
Just in case, I guess. You could pull the key out, but the key never fell out when I was operating the tractor before. Certainly wasn't the most foolish $82 I've ever spent.

/ Lost the key #9  
I'm waiting on an order from them right now, lost the fuel cap on my F2000 a week ago. Ordered one that day when I couldn't
find it looking around the yard. ( My fault left the cap laying on the hood after filling it up) Found the old one tonight when I parked the tractor.