Bad common advice given to teens and young adults

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, I figured I'd post this because I Often hear, common, but bad advice given to teens and young adults; boys especially. Been involved with Boy Scouts from sons 2nd grade, till this Jan (9 year I think); same from teachers, and some of the well-meaning advice given...

Go to college to figure out what you want to do (Figure out what you want to do, and if you need to go to college, go, if not, dont)

Don't get married or have kids till you're 30 (I was about normal age, 22 or 23, and wife was 19 when we had son; and wife said whatever kids she had by 30 was it; see 50 y/os with young kids; man, not me...)

Get a credit card and keep a medium balance to start building credit (not entirely 100% bad; but I think this thinking often escalates and turns bad)

School is always the most important thing (whatever you do, do your best; but I've never thought back, if only I tried harder in HS english...)

Everyone tries drugs, just stay away from strong stuff (seen a lot of people F' up their lives; not saying you're doomed if you do, but don't think it should be encouraged/normalized)

Follow your dreams no matter what (earn a living, get dang good at it, and also do what you enjoy, But not everything will make a living, that's a hobby, and thats fine too; and some times, just just have to do what has to be done, even when you don't want too)

Try to make the world a better place and or give back to the community/country (get a job, pay your taxes, don't smoke meth, that will improve your community, you dont need to go on a crusade to save the homeless or environment or whatever)

Get a steady office job 9-5 and a house in a subdivision (first, 9-5 is a 7 to 7.5 hr paycheck; and I think about 70% of those people hate their life; steady is OK, but it can be a trap)

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #2  
For guys: be nice to the wallflowers. You'll see changes at your 10 year reunion but by 20 year reunion those wallflowers are knockouts and the former pretty girls will be big as a house. :p

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #4  
Make it a priority to start saving money as soon as you get a job. Save some out of every paycheck, even if it's only $10, you'll never be sorry you started saving early.

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults
My addition to the advice above is to start contributing to your retirement funds when you get your first permanent job and keep doing it. Don't wait until you're comfortable. That may take a while.
I would say; don't wait to be comfortable for a lot of things; house, kids, marriage, ect. Your probably never 100% ready for anything major. Not saying to be impulsive; but also be careful of 'paralysis by analysis'; or sometimes just hit it hard and hope for the best

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #9  
Make it a priority to start saving money as soon as you get a job. Save some out of every paycheck, even if it's only $10, you'll never be sorry you started saving early.
One thing I made sure my kids understood. The mortgage and taxes on our home was less then renting. Buy a home and put that money towards you instead of in someone else's pocket.

Oldest son purchased a home shortly after I brought that up to him.

Youngest daughter purchased a home shortly before her 21st birthday.

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults
Oh, for good advice that I never got;

The case the tools come in might be more useful then some of the sockets or wrenchs; when you take the tools out and put them in a tool box; it's only a matter of time before you basically have a 5 gallon bucket of mixed crap; and if it all stayed in the case; you'd still have the full set