Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #1  

Dmacleo

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 MF GC2400 Owner, 2012 MF1532 User
went to store few minutes ago. on way back following 1/2 ton gmc truck with (16 foot single bay) horse trailer w/o tow mirrors (huge mistake..bigger error about to be shown) and I see his right rear (dual axle) tire was almost flat.
I start flashing lights hitting horn arm out window. he didn't see me. remember what I said about tow mirrors? 1/2 mile later tire blows, he aint got a spare, and its on a sunday.
and there was large bull inside trailer.
not a damned thing I could do.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #2  
A lot of vehicles have those space saver spares and some come with a factory can like Fix A Flat.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.
A lot of vehicles have those space saver spares and some come with a factory can like Fix A Flat.
this was not vehicle, was trailer.
when the tread flies off no can will fix it.
trailer has a-frame so could mount spare there however...can always toss spare in back of the truck.
WAY to many people do not bother to check trailer tires.
even if this guy had spare....he had no tools to change it.
sadly thats all to common.

edit: when the tread flew off at 45mph it almost destroyed someones mailbox. luckily it hit right on bottom of post (rural area, our mailboxes are well supported) and the whole tread circle was there in one piece. if it had hit 2 feet higher he would have had to deal with that cost too.

Last edited:
   / Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #4  
i see a lot of smaller trailers toting atv's etc. no spare in sight. also see a lot of log splitters (barbie wheels) w/o a spare. if tire blows, they'd have to drop the splitter roadside, great opt for thieves.

i see a lot of smaller trailers toting atv's etc. no spare in sight. also see a lot of log splitters (barbie wheels) w/o a spare. if tire blows, they'd have to drop the splitter roadside, great opt for thieves.
yup. see that almost every day.
I have 2 trailers I own, small 5x9 (with the expensive class c 12" tires) and a 7x14 single axle.
both have valid spares.
I could have brand new tires on either trailer and they don't leave property w/o valid spare.
yeah those little tires have a huge rotational speed over larger tires.

edit: Up until 12-2021 I used company 3/4 ton truck to haul stuff with on either a Cam 6-16 (23 feet from hitch end to ramp end) tilt trailer and a Cam 7x14 dual cylinder dump trailer.
I never moved them w/o valid spare.
hell I accidentally put 8.1 TONS in the dump trailer. would have sucked w/o a good spare.
these 2 used same tire so I kept one in bed of truck along with a 20 ton bottle jack. the dump also had a spare under the bed but if loaded would just use one I carried in bed.
the tilt trailer most I hauled was 9800 lbs.

Last edited:
   / Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #6  
I added a spare tire mount and purchased a spare tire for my trailer. I also keep a wedge jack (tandem axle trailer) in the chain box. With the wedge jack, I can put it under the good tire and ease forward. Lifts the trailer just high enough to change out the tire with out struggling with a jack.

I carry my cordless impact and sockets with me when hauling the trailer. I also have a torque stick in my impact bag, so I don't worry about accidently over tighten the lug nuts.

I added a spare tire mount and purchased a spare tire for my trailer. I also keep a wedge jack (tandem axle trailer) in the chain box. With the wedge jack, I can put it under the good tire and ease forward. Lifts the trailer just high enough to change out the tire with out struggling with a jack.

I carry my cordless impact and sockets with me when hauling the trailer. I also have a torque stick in my impact bag, so I don't worry about accidently over tighten the lug nuts.
I've done a variation of wedge (blocks under other tires to force the equalizer bar to lift bad tire) before but I preferred the 40 ton bottle jacks I carried, however in some cases (terrain matters) jack is not best method and the wedge style stuff helps.
and when a trailer is behind any truck-trailer combo I drive there are a bag of tools I carry.

just wish more people paid attn to this. most look at the tow vehicle and NOT at the TOWED item.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #8  
If that was me (bull hauler), I'd remove the flat tire with rim and chain it up the end to the trailer frame and continue on albeit slowly. Never pull any of my trailers without a spare, a jack and a 4 way lug wrench.

Bet the bull wasn't too happy either.

Up here in Michigan you'd be surprised (maybe not) to see all the snowmobile trailers being pulled by trucks and cars with mirrors that they cannot see around the trailers with. Sled trailers are quite wide (usually 102") to accept sleds, side by side and most have those tiny small diameter tires too. Seen many on the side of the road with blown tires because they are a seasonal trailer and owners never check the air pressure or grease the bearings either. At 70+, those tiny tires are spinning at a huge RPM.

If that was me (bull hauler), I'd remove the flat tire with rim and chain it up the end to the trailer frame and continue on albeit slowly. Never pull any of my trailers without a spare, a jack and a 4 way lug wrench.

Bet the bull wasn't too happy either.

Up here in Michigan you'd be surprised (maybe not) to see all the snowmobile trailers being pulled by trucks and cars with mirrors that they cannot see around the trailers with. Sled trailers are quite wide (usually 102") to accept sleds, side by side and most have those tiny small diameter tires too. Seen many on the side of the road with blown tires because they are a seasonal trailer and owners never check the air pressure or grease the bearings either. At 70+, those tiny tires are spinning at a huge RPM.
I heard some....noise....inside trailer :)
but...to remove that tire...needed a jack.
guess what...no jack. and no tools to fit lug nuts. willing to bet no chain either. but at least all his lights worked...thats something I seldom see.
I see same thing (in Maine) about snowmobile trailers. a 7ft wide open trailer...can do w/o tow mirrors. any sort of (even 7ft single axle) enclosed trailer...need tow mirrors/extensions.
those little tires have a very high rotational speed compared to a 15 inch or so trailer tire. and yes...even those that check pressure never check bearings.good way to melt an axle end:)
although the tire directly in front of the blown one was not looking good so possible chaining would have just caused that to blow :(

Last edited:
   / Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #10  
Trouble is the majority of people that own trailers never give any thought to the age of the tires or the affects of sun light on those tires simply because most trailers only get random usage. Also if given a coursey look the tread will appear deep enough and as long as it is not flat probably do not bother checking the air pressure. I'll even bet a great deal of trailer owners, the small utilities, have no idea about wheel bearing having or needing grease much less how to pack them even if equipped with a zerk fitting.