Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,401  
Finished up my woods road yesterday. I started here - plenty of rocks and a couple stumps.

P1020524.JPG

Screenshot 2023-10-03 105338.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-03 104153.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-03 104852.jpg

This new road section connects two dead ends to make a loop and gives me access to new woods.

P1020542-1.jpg

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,402  
GG, your pictures remind me of when I was a kid and my dad cut roads into our woods on 140 acres. He had a old JD 40 dozer and he did a ton of work with that little 2 cylinder machine. That was 60 years ago. Sure wish we had kept the land and the dozer.

Nice work!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,403  
Nice dozer work Gordon!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,404  
GG, your pictures remind me of when I was a kid and my dad cut roads into our woods on 140 acres. He had a old JD 40 dozer and he did a ton of work with that little 2 cylinder machine. That was 60 years ago. Sure wish we had kept the land and the dozer.

Nice work!!
I wish that they still made something around that size, but it likely would be pricey. My father had a couple of 40s over the years, then bought a 1010. They did a lot of work around the property.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,405  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,406  
I wish that they still made something around that size, but it likely would be pricey. My father had a couple of 40s over the years, then bought a 1010. They did a lot of work around the property.
When I was a kid, my dad had a deere 40 crawler dozer, I put hour after hour on it, I couldn't get enough of it. Same with the old dragline crane he also had.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,407  

There’s not much need for a dozer smaller than 20k or at least 15k pounds. You might as well get a much more versatile CTL at that point. They actually do still make a compact dozer BTW. They’re mostly sold for trail building. 480 trail dozer

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,408  
There’s not much need for a dozer smaller than 20k or at least 15k pounds. You might as well get a much more versatile CTL at that point. They actually do still make a compact dozer BTW. They’re mostly sold for trail building. 480 trail dozer
My boss once rented an old type D6 just to see how it would fit into our logging world. We had it less than a month and it proved to be a disaster.
First off it was slow for logging. On some hills with a bit of ice and snow, it was butt puckering as it would skid sideways wherever it wanted.
We had 3 skidders and to cut trails into the woods was a redundancy and rather arduous as the skidders were quite nimble and able to go over many obstructions. Wherever they couldn't go, the cable winches came in handy.
None the less, I'd love to have something like Gordon has for the small scale, tractor logging operation of the typical homeowner.

1696393880185.png

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,409  
Thanks for the comments all ! For me having tractor roads in the woods makes all the difference in being able to work in and get around in my wood lot. I keep the tractor on the roads and out of the slash so the lack of a belly pan and forestry tires are not issues so much and I can access wood in large hilly terrain areas much more safely.

Arrow, I remember well, and am still puckered, from the first and only time I tried to scarify our road with the dozer tracks after a bad ice storm.

gg