Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,421  
In Illinois there is no standard measurement requirement, or if there is, it’s completely ignored.
Most of the larger sellers in my part of Vermont sell by the cord, but it is widely ignored by smaller sellers ("hobbyist" firewood producers or people who just cleaned up a tree or two and want to get rid of it.)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,422  
I never understood buying firewood, the only real reason I deal with a wood stove is due to the "free" fuel I can get off my property.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,423  
I never understood buying firewood, the only real reason I deal with a wood stove is due to the "free" fuel I can get off my property.
Some do sell the free stuff.... I sell camp firewood a bit more profitable than by the cord and pays for my tools, gas, and parts so I get "free" heat.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,424  
Some do sell the free stuff.... I sell camp firewood a bit more profitable than by the cord and pays for my tools, gas, and parts so I get "free" heat.
I've thought about selling some here and there, yes the small amounts, but just didn't seem worth it to me.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,425  
I have a decent chainsaw, a hydraulic splitter and a tractor to help move stuff around. Even with those tools I’d feel if I sold firewood I’d be lucky to make over $10 and hour.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,426  
I have a decent chainsaw, a hydraulic splitter and a tractor to help move stuff around. Even with those tools I’d feel if I sold firewood I’d be lucky to make over $10 and hour.
Agreed, and I have all those things too!
Dang, last count I think I have 6 chainsaws!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,427  
You should be around here during tourist season when a "bundle" (arm load) goes for $5.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,428  
I've thought about selling some here and there, yes the small amounts, but just didn't seem worth it to me.
I've sold to locals and other campgrounds but my own captive customer base works ok. I figure if it pays for fuel and maintenance it makes my firewood mostly free.
I sell half load in the BX loader for 7 and full load for 15. Used to be 5 and 10 until other prices went through the roof. Now they want $9 for a little bundles (like 5 or 6 pieces) at the nearby campgrounds.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,429  
In some states, selling by any other measure than by the cord (e.g. "pickup truck load" or "pile") is illegal. Though if it's between a willing seller and a willing buyer, I'm not sure who would lodge a complaint that would kick off enforcement action (assuming that the volume has not been misrepresented.
What states would that be?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,430  
What states would that be?
Vermont, for one. New Hampshire as well. Ohio for another (I used to live there). There are a number of other states, but I did not bother to memorize them since they don't directly affect me. It's a rule that is often ignored, and many are not even aware that it is a rule in their state.

Last edited: