Backing up a Gen Trailer

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #61  
Can you see it? if you can't see the trailer you will never succeed. My boat trailer with no boat is hard to back up with the truck as I can't see it.
You just need to slow down... When your backing up. Don't be afraid to pull forward to straighten everything out at the slightest point of going wrong... there will be times you CAN'T save it. With a short trailer you need to correct almost immediately and sometimes even before hand, I went L 5 feet so I need R for 5 feet, to keep it going correctly. A lot depends on the thing backing it up and it's wheelbase as well.
Also watch how the tractor moves when you spin the steering wheel Even that movement might impact the way the trailer is going to move the next few feet causing you issues. I know some steering setups push the machine the opposite direction to start with.
when your trailer is narrow and don't see it then while baking up as long as you don't see it its going straights so keep going...

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #62  
Backing anything up is always about the lateral movement avaliable of the hitch point or towball, the further you can swing it the easier to back it up
Basically the further back the tow hitch fron the back wheels the better
Make sure the drawbar under the tractor is as long as possible, they often allow to be lengthened
Would not be impossible to slide a 4x4 box section over the hitch point extending back even 3 or 4 feet, mount a towball on the end

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #63  
This may be of some help, perhaps not. I worked for a company that had DOT type dump trucks and at times you'd tow, maybe a large air compressor or such, behind the truck into an area where you had to back out. Because you could not even see the small unit you were towing we would place a few things like a shovel and a broom as an example so that they protruded from each side of the trailer and you could see as soon as you were going off to the side. I know, why not someone just guide you? It was actually easier when you could see for yourself rather than someone yelling instructions every few seconds. In the case of the OP, even a couple of 2X4's sticking out from the side of the generator would be sufficient for the short time needed? It would help guide him up to the doors where, if need be, he could remove them before entering. Worth a try and everyone has a couple 2X4's laying around.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #64  
Good suggestion, SPM. We do the same with smaller boat and watercraft trailers, mostly using those orange fiberglass driveway snowplow markers. A few of them slid into sheet metal brackets and bolted to your trailer go a long way toward improving visibility of the trailer when backing it up a driveway or down the boat ramp.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #65  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

Got this 14 kw generator on a small trailer, hooks to the rear drawbar and PTO of my JD 950 with loader. Provides survival during our frequent winter power outages. Big problem: backing it back into the barn when crisis subsides. Tractor mostly outside to disperse emissions, attached trailer remains behind under shelter of barn But trailer twists sideways and jackknifes during backup return. Tractor and trailer both short wheelbase. I spent years backing a bass boat into launch ramps and parking slots with no problem. The barn door at 8 ft is too narrow to permit much steer adjustment (loader hits frame). Detaching gen and backing by hand is a real p.i.t.a. for these old bones. Got any suggestions ?
Put the generator on a 3 point platform and use the trailer for trailering.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer
Skid steer solution (temporary ?). You guys have some great ideas and plenty of experience. Big problem with backing in, beside direction control, is the loader arc out front. Slight steering corrections swing the loader wide -- and the barn door is narrow. Real easy to get wedged up weird. So I got a length of 5/16 tow chain, attached to rear corners of the gen trailer and looped around 3-pt hardware. This locks the trailer into position laterally. creating a single unit. Backing up skids the trailer wheels sideways if necessary. Trailer and gen are relatively lightweight so no serious harm to tires in that short barn distance.

Big problem with front steering-in is the need to unhitch and then rehitch the tongue and tumbler bar each time. Not fun in a dark barn at 17 deg Fahrenheit.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #67  
Backing anything up is always about the lateral movement avaliable of the hitch point or towball, the further you can swing it the easier to back it up
Basically the further back the tow hitch fron the back wheels the better
Make sure the drawbar under the tractor is as long as possible, they often allow to be lengthened
Would not be impossible to slide a 4x4 box section over the hitch point extending back even 3 or 4 feet, mount a towball on the end

Hmmm, I don't think much about backing, although most of my trailers are a bit longer. Just push the trailer where you want it to go.

I just use the 3 pt drawbar (one with lots of holes) and trailer balls on the lower arms of the 3pt. So far I've never rolled a trailer hitch off of the drawbar. I do prefer bulldog clam shell hitches that are very secure. There is a version that has an attachment to the 3pt top link, but I don't use it. There is even a draw bar with the top link attachment and a receiver for a little extra length.

The tractor with its maneuverability and open visibility (no cab) is a dream for backing up.

With any trailer there may be a point where the trailer turns faster than the vehicle can catch up. With the shorter wheel base, that point is likely closer to straight behind. So, try to keep the really short trailer with 10° or 15° of being straight behind (unless one wants to intentionally jackknife it.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #68  

The tractor with its maneuverability and open visibility (no cab) is a dream for backing up.
I don't always think my tractors are always the best to back trailers into narrow doors. No mirrors to see the edge of the trailer in respect to the door edges. Much rather use the pickup with its mirrors. Now if my tractors had mirrors, but would probably knock them off in the woods. Jon

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #70  
Isn't that just neat as all get out!?
Neat... but also seems like an awful expensive way to run a portable generator while racking up unnecessary hours on a tractor. I paid over $40k for my tractor, and if history is any indicator, I'll sell it as a clean low-hours machine 20 years later for about the same dollar amount I paid... albeit in depreciated dollars. But I could source a stationary power plant for that generator for $2k, in fact maybe even under $1k with enough patience and hunting.

Most weekend warriors are putting ~100 hours per year on their tractors. But running a generator just 4 days per year would double that usage. Needs may vary, we don't get yearly 4-day outages here on our sparse side of suburbia, but I do average at least 50 hours per year on generator. I know from reading this forum that many posters are seeing much more frequent or extended outages.

Not criticizing, though. The guy who came up with that rig may have had a very low-hours need for a very high-horsepower generator, and for that this might be the ideal solution. But that's probably a less common scenario, than those looking to backfeed a house for semi-frequent outages.

Last edited: