Sizing attachments (FEL)

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #1  
Tractor
2023KIOTI NS 4710
Would there ever be a time where I would want to buy a grapple (or any attachment) that is smaller than my footprint? What kinds of situations (other than being able to lift more because of a smaller/lighter implement) would it be advantageous? Any? or is it in absolute that you should buy to match the tractor.

TIA

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #2  
When I was thinking about a grapple I arrived at the conclusion that a grapple is not sized to the tractor width. My L4060 has a 6' wide footprint, and a 6' grapple would be too large. Since you're not driving through the work like a plow, rake, or bucket, an overly wide grapple just reduces lifting capacity.
That all said, I decided against a grapple and get by with pallet forks.

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #3  
grapple selection depends on your use and tractor capabilities. If just moving brush then in theory a wider grapple would haul more. If lifting logs then grapple weight would be a consideration.

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #4  
On bigger tractors the size and weight of the implements is a little less critical because they have a lot of lift capacity. On smaller tractors if you have a 600 pound lift capacity and put a 400 pound grapple on it you can’t do much with it. With blades and graders is where you want the implements wider than your tractor.

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #5  
I chose my grapple based upon implement strength. Consequently I have a 60 inch grapple that weighs 820 pounds. I've had a few "lesser" implements and in a short time they seem to crumple - quite easily.

I've never found that I need/want any grapple wider than the 60" one I have. My rear tires are 80 inches - outside to outside. I've never found that the 60 inch grapple - in any way - limits what I can do.

It is a true beast and has served me well for over ten years. Yes - because it weighs 820# I did loose some lifting ability. But - I can still lift 3200# - carefully. My "normal" maximum lift is - 2000 to 2500 pounds. I lift large chunks of pine tree trunk and large rocks. This is my Land Pride 1560 grapple.
IMG_0011.jpeg

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #6  
I think there is probably a bit too much emphasis on this. I'd need 72" implements for everything. It makes sense in some cases, not always. Probably makes the most sense with snow plows/blowers.

Some manufacturers kick up the duty rating at 72" or so. This makes things disproportionately heavy and expensive. You may need the weight, maybe not.

I'm looking for a grapple. 55-66". I have a lot of trees and brush to handle. The few inches more don't matter enough for that purpose.

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #7  
My thinking exactly - Torvy. I've found that my 60" grapple will gather trash of any size.
Backdrag - like a garden rake and clamp shut for the smaller stuff. Go forward - with lower lip low - for all the big stuff and limbs.

Unfortunately - my choices were somewhat limited. I'm sure there are grapples out there - just as strong as what I have and are lighter. Problem being - I want to "lay hands" on any purchase that expensive. The best grapple in the world may be in New Jersey - I'll never get to see it.

The one exception is my heavy duty Rhino rear blade. It's 1000# and 96" wide. Folks tend to forget - when you angle a rear blade to move snow - you loose width. I offset and angle the rear blade to move snow. Keeps the tractor a safe distance from the edge of my driveway. A couple spots on my mile long driveway have a 20 foot or greater drop off.

My basic feeling - I do not want to have to limit what I can do with any attachment because of the deficiencies in manufacturing or attempts to sell a cheaper product.

Last edited:
   / Sizing attachments (FEL) #8  
Since I planned on using my grapple almost exclusively for logging I got a Frostbite bypass grapple. It does pickup brush and the like but logs are its strong suit. It is only 29” wide and weighs about 360#

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #9  
It depends a lot on your uses, but keep in mind that once you have one you'll find uses for everything you didn't think of. People put a LOT of emphasis on the weight of the wider grapples (apples to apples construction) and really it is very minimal. I think my 66" WR Long grapple weighs about 100lbs more than the 48". I can tell you that I've never been within a 100lb deficit on my lift capacity. If the rock or log was too big to lift with my grapple, it was too big to lift with any 4' grapple as well.

Another argument becomes digging. Again, I've never found that I couldn't dig something up because of an extra foot and half or so. Pretty much all the arguments you see, one way or another, are really just people over thinking it and not having experience with both. There are some huge proponents of one specific size, and I caution you that if something is diehard one way or another, take their advice with a grain of salt because they are likely overly biased.

I bought my WR Long OBG2-66 about 10 years ago. It's been the best investment I've ever made, literally the best purchase I can think of. I almost never buy new, but I had no choice and bought new with this grapple. My father has used it many times as well. He ended up buying a smaller tractor and I recommended a 48" grapple for him because his lift capacity is in the 1,000lb range.
He's had that grapple now for about 2 years. Both him and I much prefer the wider grapple for various reasons. He still jokes around about me 'screwing' him over by getting him the 4' grapple lol.

Scroll through some of the pics in this thread: Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....
I think you'll find various grapples of all sizes on there, and likely every single thing that someone did, could have been done with either or....

My main recommendation would be don't buy something meant for a skidsteer. You definitely do NOT want one of those 800lb+ grapples. There is simply zero advantage there. If your talking about 3 point implements then yes, the heavier the better, but for the FEL, something that heavy just doesn't have an advantage.

/ Sizing attachments (FEL) #10  
Well - I've found that my Land Pride grapple is perfectly fine. It's made for a skid steer - weighs 820 pounds - and, obviously, never been a problem. I think the way it will be used has a lot to do with it also. I use mine to move LARGE chunks of pine tree trunk and LARGE rocks. Plus the obvious scuffing and scraping.

I call my technique of moving - knuckle dragging. The load is NEVER lifted more than 6" off the ground. Increased stability and, very definitely, increased lift capacity.

At this height my lift capacity is around 3500 pounds. This is according to my FEL heavy lift chart and at a point 800mm forward of the lift pins. But there is also this rule - the higher the lesser.

When the lifting get tough I will definitely take my grapple over something that is considerably lighter.

I've spent my time in "implement Hell" with light duty implements.

But Piston is absolutely correct. You simply DO NOT put an 820# grapple on a 45 hp tractor. I'm sure that there are lighter grapples that would be perfectly fine.

Last edited: