Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,671  
We are in good shape so far. Problem will be when everybody wakes up and gets ready for work tomorrow morning. If we could just get the sun to shine at night. :LOL:

1705288951542.png

1705288999775.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,672  
Just like Daylight Savings Time adjusted the clocks, maybe Texans can go to work a few hours later so the solar panels can start producing as the wake up electrical needs rises.

Solar panels are a good reason Not to adjust the clocks for daylight savings time in the spring.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,673  
Cold temps in Texas and ERCOT is asking everyone to conserve electricity for two mornings. Monday and Tuesday morning between 6:00am and 10:00am are times they are asking you not to use electricity.

Situations like this need to be resolved to go all electric (no Fossil fuels).

Spokane News had a request the last couple days from Avista to drop the thermostats 2 degrees for anyone using natural gas OR electricity.
Having difficulty getting enough of both to customers. That request was rescinded today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,675  
I have nothing useful to contribute here, except to say that every time I see "Helogabals", I wonder if it's Latvian for "huge balls".
Actually few moons back, when I signed-up in at TBN, just before it I have read an article about Roman emperors. There was that man Heliogabalus

Liked that name, just how it sounds. Just later learned that he was rather kinky dude. 🤣:ROFLMAO::love:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,676  
Another somewhat contentious TeslaMotorsClub thread
Cybertruck. Towing with a Tesla car on a trailer.

Have to say even worse than what I expected.

87 Miles. (100-3% range is 115 miles) Charging to 100% every time will degrade the battery.
Towing heavy any real distance with an electric Pick Up is not competitive with a diesel or efficient powerful gas Pickup without a large capacity battery like a 200kwh battery which means carrying a lot of weight and longer charge times.

I am sure a CT is fine for unloaded driving and local towing travel, just not so sure towing heavy long distance is "there" yet..

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,677  
Another somewhat contentious TeslaMotorsClub thread
Cybertruck. Towing with a Tesla car on a trailer.

Have to say even worse than what I expected.

87 Miles. (100-3% range is 115 miles) Charging to 100% every time will degrade the battery.
Towing heavy any real distance with an electric Pick Up is not competitive with a diesel or efficient powerful gas Pickup without a large capacity battery like a 200kwh battery which means carrying a lot of weight and longer charge times.

I am sure a CT is fine for unloaded driving and local towing travel, just not so sure towing heavy long distance is "there" yet..

Same as the Ford Lightning… if you are actually using it for work, you won’t be for long. I see it as an electric AWD EV. Not really a useful load truck. It’s a truck, for people in the suburbs, who want to own a “truck”

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,678  
Same as the Ford Lightning… if you are actually using it for work, you won’t be for long. I see it as an electric AWD EV. Not really a useful load truck. It’s a truck, for people in the suburbs, who want to own a “truck”

The interesting thing is because the Lightning is shaped like a regular flat nosed truck and is less aero dynamic than the CT it does a better job at breaking the wind front that actually hits the tall trailers and sees less of a range loss while towing.

We got a call from FIL and some pipes may have frozen, so we needed to go crawl under the house to make sure no water was leaking.

Had not planned to go anywhere so the diesel trucks were not plugged in to block heaters. I decided to see and Neither RAM would start. Then opened the ap on the MY which was outside. Interior temp showed -17*F. Turned on the Defrost mode and 10 minutes later we left. Car used almost 2.2KWH for a 2 mile round trip. But it ran, and was a comfortable warm ride and no real waiting to leave. Luckily no broken pipes but had a loose vent cover that needed screwed down tighter to seal up the air leak and a milk house heater added to heat things back up. On call. Oh and a tractor related item the FIL's Yanmar 2310D starter is being finicky even with a block heater and using a space heater to get it up and running

Trucks are on battery chargers and will plug in the block heater.
Will be Glad when this cold front leaves...

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,679  
The interesting thing is because the Lightning is shaped like a regular flat nosed truck and is less aero dynamic than the CT it does a better job at breaking the wind front that actually hits the tall trailers and sees less of a range loss while towing.

We got a call from FIL and some pipes may have frozen, so we needed to go crawl under the house to make sure no water was leaking.

Had not planned to go anywhere so the diesel trucks were not plugged in to block heaters. I decided to see and Neither RAM would start. Then opened the ap on the MY which was outside. Interior temp showed -17*F. Turned on the Defrost mode and 10 minutes later we left. Car used almost 2.2KWH for a 2 mile round trip. But it ran, and was a comfortable warm ride and no real waiting to leave. Luckily no broken pipes but had a loose vent cover that needed screwed down tighter to seal up the air leak and a milk house heater added to heat things back up. On call. Oh and a tractor related item the FIL's Yanmar 2310D starter is being finicky even with a block heater and using a space heater to get it up and running

Trucks are on battery chargers and will plug in the block heater.
Will be Glad when this cold front leaves...
Amen. I got home at 1am from NYC the other day. Got to my car, sitting in the cold for three days. Started fine, but the door latch was so cold it was sticky and would not latch. I drove 40 miles home on I70 with the door open. Next week it will be 40F again.