Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,691  
To be fair to Grumpy, it has not been as cold in Alabama or SE Tennessee as it has been in fly over country the last few days. Most likely not any problems down there.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,692  
Our Honda CRV gets 32MPG in the summer, and winter… there is no appreciable range decrease.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,693  
Great example......except our Tesla Church leader Grumpy, will say it’s not factual , so then it never happens. Meanwhile it's happening all over much of North America this month.
This is hilarious! Get a whole fleet of cars with less range than ICE, that also take much longer to “fuel” with fewer places to fuel them 😂. Loved them being towed to a charger.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,694  
This is hilarious! Get a whole fleet of cars with less range than ICE, that also take much longer to “fuel” with fewer places to fuel them 😂. Loved them being towed to a charger.
While I suspect I will own an EV someday soon, and will have no problems with charging it at home overnight for daily errands, I would not want an EV as a rental anytime soon. Who wants to deal with finding places and ways to charge them, when traveling on vacation or business?

Hertz's decision to buy EV's was somewhere between stupid and completely misunderstanding their customer needs. Spending valuable hours on vacation or business travel is not the time or place when one is most interested in hobbling themselves with new tech.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,695  
Great example......except our Tesla Church leader Grumpy, will say its not factual , so then it never happens. Meanwhile it's happening all over much of North America this month.
Only happens to those depending on public/shared resources. I have consistently hammered home how that is not the solution. You cite examples proving my point.

Video is from a suburb of Chicago. Not a major transportation corridor but of daily commuters. The Gas Station Model doesn’t work.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,696  
Most Tesla owners have the facilities to charge at home. So 2.8 million owners? Say 2.5 million “chargers”?

Last I looked there were less than 500,000 gas pumps.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,697  
To be fair to Grumpy, it has not been as cold in Alabama or SE Tennessee as it has been in fly over country the last few days. Most likely not any problems down there.
Said to be -3°F on Wednesday. But same weatherman said 5” snow today which failed to cover the grass.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,699  
My Model S blew hot air out the door handles. I never had a situation where I knew the door handles were frozen.
My Model Y handles have trouble free so far in this mess but do use the Defrost mode before I go outside. Our low so far has only been +3F and we got a little more snow today. Setting outside so far hasn't been a Tesla problem but I have limited it to 12 amp due to adding a 2 amp load powered by one leg of my 240 volts I use for charging the Tesla on 375 foot 12 gauge extension cord. If I blow one 30 amp fuse that would be more cool than I want.

Well I had one charging issue for the first time. This morning when we got home from the midnight coffee run this morning I could not get the charger cord to plug into the car and I assume there was ice had formed in there from the snow and the defrost heat. For some reason the locking mechanism had engaged so I just clicked to stop the charging which had never been started and that pin retracted and I could connect then.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,700