Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,921  
I'll be 100 years old in 2050 so I don't think it will be a concern of mine unless I'm still driving. :cool:
One thing for sure, I won't be driving an EV unless it was given to me. By then, an EV will most likely cost about $300,000 for the budget line.
By then the E P A will have determined that:
The batteries are an enviromental hazard and use must be stopped immediately.
This will only occur after there are no ICE vehicles!🤣

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,922  
Hypocrisy really gets me:

Al Gore's 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) that consumes more energy in a month than the average American household does in a year. It says the average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2,400 per month.

JOHN KERRY'S FAMILY PRIVATE JET EMITTED OVER 300 METRIC TONS OF CARBON SINCE B I DEN TOOK OFFICE

FORMER U.S. VICE PRESIDENT Al
Gore urges us all to reduce our carbon
footprint, yet he regularly flies in a private jet.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,923  
Here is a non-tesla engineer explaining the unbox principle and why the world will be driving mainly evs and why they will be built this way.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,924  
There were several straight pages of arguments about 80A/100A/125A/200A service, and implications that people with less than 200A service are going to have issues with charging an EV. These older service panels < 200A are mostly installed in older and smaller homes, where overnight load is likely very low. I can't imagine there are actually many cases where there's not 30A to spare for overnight charging of an EV.

Daytime charging is another issue, as it is realistic that combined household load may total over 50A, before plugging in the EV. However, I'm living in over 8000 sq.ft., and it's rare even here to see our daytime load peak much above 50A. There are certain fixed loads irrespective of the size of the home (electric range, electric clothes dryer, electric water heater), but many other loads scale with the size of the home (heat pumps, lighting, number of occupants, etc.).

If I lived in a home with an 80A or 100A service, and wanted to avoid an upgrade, I have very little doubt I could make it work. It would mean more careful planning on when I charge, or making sure no one runs the clothes dryer when I need to do that odd daytime boost.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,925  
Glad to see them focus on the oil and gas industry. Other companies are doing the same now that wind and solar production are not profitable with high prices and high interest rates. Look at all the offshore wind projects being abandoned or having to receive the waiver of the financial assurance for decommissioning costs fee. That will leave taxpayers holding the bag if the project goes belly up.

There many hydrocarbon wells that have been abandoned and require government assistance to reclaim!!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,926  
^^ A little planning goes a long way.

I didn’t want for anything in my 3 bedroom single family home with 30amp 120volt service… central heat, microwave, range, washer/dryer, refrigerator, etc.

It’s similar to the generator size question… how big?

Big enough to run everything in the house at the same time or big enough to run some things at the same time?

Some will never understand and I’ve seen first hand…

One of the renters would cook for her church… she was always having electrical problems and wanted the owner to get involved.

Her logic is as long as she has outlets how can she overload the circuits.

There must be something wrong when two 1800 Watt skillets in the same outlet trip the circuit???

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,927  
Glad to see them focus on the oil and gas industry. Other companies are doing the same now that wind and solar production are not profitable with high prices and high interest rates. Look at all the offshore wind projects being abandoned or having to receive the waiver of the financial assurance for decommissioning costs fee. That will leave taxpayers holding the bag if the project goes belly up.

There many hydrocarbon wells that have been abandoned and require government assistance to reclaim!!
Maybe in Canada but not in Texas. Decommissioned wells are required to be plugged and the surface equipment cleared out. We have 2 plugged wells on our property, plow right over them to plant cotton.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,928  
Maybe in Canada but not in Texas. Decommissioned wells are required to be plugged and the surface equipment cleared out. We have 2 plugged wells on our property, plow right over them to plant cotton.
What happens when the operating company goes bankrupt?

In many cases wells are sold at the end of their life. The buyer produces the well for a short time and then goes bankrupt.
A very common practice.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,929  
TBN the only place Al Gore's is still relevant.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,930