Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,251  
Tesla stock is off 24% in the last 25 days. It's down over 9% from yesterday's close. I am considering buying some after the bloodbath is over but I'm not that good at catching falling knives. Where's the bottom?

If this doesn't tell you EVs are having a tough go of it, what does?
$0

Check out this high flyer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,252  
About 10-15 years per some Tesla bulls when Tesla is the main parts supplier to the Big 3 and the rest of non China OEMs. Plus selling millions of Tesla Bots for personal care, health care, manufacturing , mining etc long after Tesla auto manufacturing margins are too low to be of interest to the shareholders. Mining astroids and repositing astroids, satellites,etc. Today Kings and Queens are vying for the piece of the action. Having access to the leader in space exploration is huge in the mind of some. Read books about Elon to get a glimpse inside his head. Then there's GAI to factor into the Musk equation. Musk plays with his cards face up on the table for all to see yet the big 3 are going backwards in reverse with the pedal to the metal. 🙂

The day he landed those two rocket boosters at the same time woke me up and I said WOW the Universe is showing this man things I have never witnessed in my lifetime.

Ah, a forward looking statement of sorts.

I could see it happenning... but a lot of future endevours have to go "right". If FSD gets released too soon and people die from bad AI decisions it could set Tesla back years. I forcasted a release of FSD with Government approval of 2027 and I am sticking with it. It could happen sooner , but I think they should fully vet it, and that will take time.

I am all for space exploration and SpaceX being successful.

Who wants to watch 'our' American astronauts having to ride to the space station on old Russian rockets as the "only" way to get there and at a far greater expense to NASA than what SpaceX charges per seat.

Not me.

Still hoping for the day the US Government declassify's some of the over 5000 patents they Are hoarding. I am a believer that The US Ultra Black projects run by companies like Lockheed Martin have energy tech and spacecraft well beyond what people believe is state of the art.

If Musk can get Starship fully functional, and quickly re usable the price for business in space will plummet.

Hoping to still be around to see the day when we land on Mars and set up a colony there.

I think mining could look like the old Sean Connery movie, Outland, hopefully without the workers drugged out like in the story line.
I don't know what they really are doing and what they are declaring.

from my experience.
When I have got my Tesla first set of tires I spoiled rather fast. Honeymoon with new car etc 😁

Now, at 120.000 km I have on car second set of winter tires (new at Nov) and second set of summer tires (1 season old) is waiting on shelf.
For car with such performance that is reasonable wear. Boys with fancy BMW can spoil tires on rear axis at one night 😁

Somehow wife's mod Y doesnt have tire wear problem 😁

~~~~~~~~~

Few years back during motorcycle track days I had opportunity to talk with Dunlop engineer. He explained me like this. We, consumers are considering several parameters. Like: grip on dry / wet; lifespan, noise; ride comfort; fuel efficiency; actual price. etc
Tire makers already can maximize one or 2 of those parameters. But at the cost of others. Matter on new tires is just - where marketing dudes will draw the line. It's all about compromises
I mean, they could fabricate tires which will last like "forever", but then their grip will be ridiculous.

There have been reports of of the MY Performance wearing the inside edge of the rear tires.
Tesla applied negative camber, which if you just drive straight and never use any of the cornering ability will wear the inside edge faster than a vehicle that has more neutral rear camber settings.

Tesla did not get between .95-1.3 G lateral skid pad acceleration numbers without some compromises on suspension geometry affecting tire wear.
Typical performance car settings.
On MY P's I actually agree with the 20 % less miles travelled. Price of admission for the available cornering ability. What I do not really agree with is Tesla's propensity to use overly large diameter wheels which results in more expensive tires. I dropped the wheel diameter all the way from a 21" to an 18" set of wheels so less expensive and Much better riding snow tires could be used. When the 21" summer tires wear out I may just buy more 18" tires for the aftermarket wheels, instead of buying $300+ 21" tires

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,253  
Ah, a forward looking statement of sorts.

I could see it happenning... but a lot of future endevours have to go "right". If FSD gets released too soon and people die from bad AI decisions it could set Tesla back years. I forcasted a release of FSD with Government approval of 2027 and I am sticking with it. It could happen sooner , but I think they should fully vet it, and that will take time.

I am all for space exploration and SpaceX being successful.

Who wants to watch 'our' American astronauts having to ride to the space station on old Russian rockets as the "only" way to get there and at a far greater expense to NASA than what SpaceX charges per seat.

Not me.

Still hoping for the day the US Government declassify's some of the over 5000 patents they Are hoarding. I am a believer that The US Ultra Black projects run by companies like Lockheed Martin have energy tech and spacecraft well beyond what people believe is state of the art.

If Musk can get Starship fully functional, and quickly re usable the price for business in space will plummet.

Hoping to still be around to see the day when we land on Mars and set up a colony there.

I think mining could look like the old Sean Connery movie, Outland, hopefully without the workers drugged out like in the story line.

There have been reports of of the MY Performance wearing the inside edge of the rear tires.
Tesla applied quite a bit of negative camber, which if you just drive straight and never use any of the cornering ability will wear the inside edge faster than a vehicle that has more neutral rear camber settings.

Tesla did not get between .95-1.3 G latteral skid pad acceleration numbers without some comprimizes on suspension geometry affecting tire wear.
On MY P's I actually agree with the 20 % less miles travelled. Price of admission for the available cornering ability. What I do not really agree with is Tesla's propensity to use overly large diameter wheels which results in more expensive tires. I dropped the wheel diameter all the way from a 21" to an 18" set of wheels so less expensive and Much better riding snow tires could be used. When the 21" summer tires wear out I may just buy more 18" tires for the aftermarket wheels, instead of buying $300+ 21" tires
I expect the guy that picks up five shares for $1,000 today might look to exit at the $2,000 per share mark. 🙂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,255  
Few years back during motorcycle track days I had opportunity to talk with Dunlop engineer. He explained me like this. We, consumers are considering several parameters. Like: grip on dry / wet; lifespan, noise; ride comfort; fuel efficiency; actual price. etc
Tire makers already can maximize one or 2 of those parameters. But at the cost of others. Matter on new tires is just - where marketing dudes will draw the line. It's all about compromises
I mean, they could fabricate tires which will last like "forever", but then their grip will be ridiculous.
Basic Engineering Axiom:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,256  
maybe his kids could sell it after he's dead for that much

Maybe,
Since Tesla does not offer dividends and is based on just holding the stock until the day it is sold.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,258  
Tesla did not get between .95-1.3 G latteral skid pad acceleration numbers without some comprimizes on suspension geometry affecting tire wear.
1993.5 Infiniti G20, probably my 2nd favorite car. Maybe a mistake to dutifully pay the dealer to do a preventative wheel alignment because some time after that I couldn’t get 20,000 miles on tires before inside edge was down to cords.

Multiple other alignment shops swore the rear wheels were aligned to spec. Printout showed negative camber of 1.5°. Swore was not adjustable.

Back then Infiniti was unique in providing a trade sized service manual in a nice presentation box with dedicated shelf in the trunk. So I started reading. Sure enough claimed rear camber not adjustable but … coil over rear strut clamped to the axle hub/knuckle with 2 bolts. 1/32” slop in one bolt hole (2” apart) would provide 0.9° of adjustment. VW front camber is adjusted exactly this way, VW even sells special bolts necked down to provide extra adjustment.

Jacked the wheel up, loosened the bolts and it dropped out a good bit toward positive camber so I put away my rat tail file, intending to ream the holes. Took it back and had 0.0° on one and -0.25 on the other. Good enough. End of premature tire wear.

That is one of the coolest things! You are my hero!

When the Y was announced I was disappointed Tesla wasn’t building a Subaru Outback with reasonable tires. Wasn’t going to replace my Outback with something wearing 45 series tires.

Years later I buy a Model Y. And about a month later am talked into selling the Outback to a family member.

I’ll be following your 18” wheel journey.

TireRack currently wants $420/each for the 19” Pirelli Scorpion tires fitted OE to my Y.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,259  
Just read an article that states 50% of buyers would be interested in an EV or hybrid. However the later adopters are pragmatists and not the same sorts of buyers we have seen in the earlier years. They are more practical and looking at the cars from a practical and utilitarian standpoint. So, they aren't wearing the same rose colored glasses. They are also more price sensitive.