Hog Hunting Public Land

/ Hog Hunting Public Land
I'm thinking about sneaking over to the WMA Friday evening to put a cellular game camera up. I know a lot of people have issues with the getting stolen though, but at the same time, the price has came way down on them, and mine is 3 years old now. Even if I can't really "pattern" them, if I place it looking at the 'funnel' area, I can see what's out there.

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #52  
I'm thinking about sneaking over to the WMA Friday evening to put a cellular game camera up. I know a lot of people have issues with the getting stolen though, but at the same time, the price has came way down on them, and mine is 3 years old now. Even if I can't really "pattern" them, if I place it looking at the 'funnel' area, I can see what's out there.
Heck, that's what I'd do. Maybe set it up high on a tree, pointing down at the trail, so it's less likely to be seen.

The bottom line with getting pigs is it's directly proportional to your level of effort and time spent in the bush. I do like someone's suggestion of broadcasting out some Koolaid or jello mix in the funnel area. I know it's probably considered baiting, but I don't think you'd need much, as a pig's sense of smell is 100x to ours.

As Eddie Walker pointed out, pigs are really hard to pattern. They might do the same routine for 4 nights and then suddenly start doing something different. And where they root one night, won't be the same the next.

On my lease in TX, I have them figured out pretty well and have some areas I work. One thing for sure where I hunt in central TX, is if it rains? I get my butt out in the bush looking for them. Nothing brings the pigs out like soft soil for easy rooting. In the late fall/early winter, I work the prickly pear as they'll be eating the ripe fruit. And this time of year, any feeder that's throwing corn will get visited pretty frequently.

Got the camera set up. There is a fence seperating a more or less open field (private), from the WMA, with a hole in it, and tracks coming through yhe fence hole, going left, right, and straight. Set camera about 15 years straight on WMA from the hole. I
20240131_175025.jpg
20240131_175032.jpg
20240131_174803.jpg

Told the wife and I think her exact words were "you going back to the place that kicked your butt, got all scratched to he'll, just so someone can steal your camera". That's the support we all need :)

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #55  
Are you trying to snare a feral hog?
No. Trapping isn't allowed. Trying to gauge travel times, and maybe ambush some on the move first light. Also, it's small game, so, maybe a coyote or bobcat. I think we are allowed 1 otter per year; but I'm not sure I would shoot one. I'm not going to eat an otter, and they aren't what I would consider a varmint.

Specific rules for this WMA. Also, part of this is spring Turkey starts like March 10th; so it's a good opportunity to get a better lay of the land. I will note, I have seen or heard any sign of turkeys in this area, but I've been focused on the wetter, heavier growth, less accessible areas.
Screenshot_20240131_195719_Drive.jpg

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #58  
So far, camera has picked up several movements at night (so it shouldn't be wind blowing branches), and 2 cupacabras :) I'm actually pretty sure pic one (faint, upper left) is a deer, and picture two is a hog; but the camera doesn't seem to get good pics on moving animals.
Screenshot_20240204_103145.jpg
Screenshot_20240204_103122.jpg

/ Hog Hunting Public Land #60  
So far, camera has picked up several movements at night (so it shouldn't be wind blowing branches), and 2 cupacabras :) I'm actually pretty sure pic one (faint, upper left) is a deer, and picture two is a hog; but the camera doesn't seem to get good pics on moving animals.View attachment 850311View attachment 850312
Second one looks like an owl to me? Very rarely would you get reflections from both eyes from a hog in a trail cam.