Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I invited a 15 year old "city boy" male relative to spend a week at our rural CA ranch property. He accepted-- aaaahhh, now what?

I would like to make it a good visit for all. Expose him to things not possible in the city environment he has always been in. So I am seeking input on what sort of activities I could involve him in?

Initial thoughts are:
- safe operation around rural land and equipment
- bucking and splitting firewood
- operating a chain saw
- milling lumber on a sawmill
- running a laser level to check gradient in a pipeline

And if I didn't mention it .... safe operation around rural land and equipment. He is a total greenhorn in the country ...

Ideas?

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #2  
Depends on aptitude…

My my then 12 year old nephew when they moved to the farm was city and video games…

I had him on the backhoe in no time and he said controls are a lot video games… not a connection I would have made.

Is he interested in animals, equipment, construction, nature, etc?

I always start with the no one gets hurt talk and if you don’t know ask…

Nephew was digging out stumps and loved it…

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #3  
Shooting some targets or good ole fashion cans. Riding horses. Or off roading in anything. Fishing. Watching wildlife. Driving a truck or tractor.
The list goes on (y)

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #6  
If he wants to work...fine. He might rather have some quality time with you, like fishing or watching critters. Just try to keep it somewhat enjoyable for him.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #7  
Not so sure about the chainsaw (risk) or splitting firewood (also risky if its a hydraulic splitter).

What interests him?

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #8  
Not so sure about the chainsaw (risk) or splitting firewood (also risky if its a hydraulic splitter).

What interests him?
Probably skateboards and video games like all young kids lol.
Not saying that's bad but urban exposure is pretty limited.
Make sure to hike or do something that wears his arse out so he's tired at night.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #10  
I invited a 15 year old "city boy" male relative to spend a week at our rural CA ranch property. He accepted-- aaaahhh, now what?

I would like to make it a good visit for all. Expose him to things not possible in the city environment he has always been in. So I am seeking input on what sort of activities I could involve him in?

Initial thoughts are:
- safe operation around rural land and equipment
- bucking and splitting firewood
- operating a chain saw
- milling lumber on a sawmill
- running a laser level to check gradient in a pipeline

And if I didn't mention it .... safe operation around rural land and equipment. He is a total greenhorn in the country ...

Ideas?
We try to engage city visitors in well defined projects that they can make observable progress on, and preferably finish, while they are with us.

I have spent a number of years doing this with 12-18 year olds, who were generally quite responsible, but I would comment that common sense is NOT common in my experience. I would hesitate to make any specific recommendations without knowing / seeing the person in question. In my experience, inexperienced folks get in trouble from what they don't know, and what they don't pay attention to.

Running a laser level, sure, and using with laser safety glasses.

Chainsaws would be really low on my list until I have a really good read on their common sense and hand eye coordination. Not too wild about splitting wood either, unless you operate the power tools and he bucks splits.

Milling as in sawing wood? Or milling as in running through a shaper/planer? Both high risk in my book, but one riskier than the other, and neither would be on my short list.

To me it is all about the individual, and then about the risks.

All the best,

Peter