Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #1  

Thom2

Tractor
JD 2355
I've bought a new cylinder for my log splitter that runs of the remotes of my JD 2355 65 hp tractor . I have two questions.

1) Do I fill the cylinder with fluid or let the tractor pump fill it?

2) I need to set the relief pressure on the control valve. I bought a pressure gauge, but I'm unsure where to hook it up to set the relief pressure.

The man at the hydraulic store where I bought the gauge said to put it inline between the control valve and the cylinder. If that's right, does it matter which end of the cylinder to put the gauge?

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #2  
Let the tractor fill it. Just be aware it will hold more fluid on the out stroke than it will on the in stroke due to the rod taking up volume.

What I did but still made a mess is move the cylinder out 4" at a time topping the reservoir each time except the last 8" of stroke or so. Then cycle it 5 times or so to work the air bubbles out then shut down the tractor and check the hydro level when things settle. I still overfilled my reservoir on my tractor doing this and dumped a QT out the vent.

As for the gauge you need it between the input to the valve and the tractor on the feed line. Putting it between the valve and cylinder would only work on 1 stroke and not the other.

Chris

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #3  
"I need to set the relief pressure on the control valve. I bought a pressure gauge, but I'm unsure where to hook it up to set the relief pressure."

Having a second relief valve on the splitter is unnecessary unless it has a maximum pressure below what the tractor puts out. If the splitter is rated the same as, or higher, than the tractor I would screw it all the way in so you know it isn't opening.

If you want to use the relief valve you can install it in either location. The pressure at the work port (valve outlet to the cylinder) will be almost identical to the inlet pressure. The small advantage you get with installing it between the valve and tractor is that you can see what pressure is required to retract the cylinder.

ISZ

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor
ISZ,
The valve came with the relief pressure set to 1500 psi and has a Max pressure of 3000 psi.

The people I bought it from said leave it at 1500 psi. My tractor output pressure as per my manual is 2800 psi. I'm a bit confused on where to set the pressure. I'm not really sure what the relief valve does anyway.

I don't want to mess up my tractor hydraulic pump or the new cylinder.

Here's the spec sheet on my control valve.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7256

---Thom2

——

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #5  
ISZ,
The valve came with the relief pressure set to 1500 psi and has a Max pressure of 3000 psi.

The people I bought it from said leave it at 1500 psi. My tractor output pressure as per my manual is 2800 psi. I'm a bit confused on where to set the pressure. I'm not really sure what the relief valve does anyway.

I don't want to mess up my tractor hydraulic pump or the new cylinder.

Here's the spec sheet on my control valve.
Message - TractorByNet.com Photo Gallery

---Thom2

ISZ is right!
A RV is meant to protect the pump but also of course the rest of the system!
If you have an RV in the tractor, set at 2800PSI, you pressure, caused by the pump, cant never get any higher than that. Obviously you new valve are rated for 3000psi, and so is probobly your cylinder and hoses. So just set that RV in the new valve just above 2800PSI, like 2900-3000PSI. That way you will get maximum splitting force from your splitter.

I would also install the gauge just after the pump. That way you can monitor pressure when using other parts of your system aswell. If gauge is installed just before your logsplitter valve, it can only monitor logsplitter pressure.

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #6  
Thom2 the pressure relief valve on your tractor is set to protect the hydraulic system on the tractor so you are good on that end. It opens when you reach the limits set on the system and bypasses the fluid to avoid damage. You can often hear it as a squealing type sound. Turn your steering all the way in one direction and hold it. You should hear a change in sound, that will be the relief valve opening.

Did you buy a cylinder and a control valve? I would try the splitter with its factory settings and if that doesn't work well know you can up the pressure if needed.

MarkV

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #7  
Looking at a selection of 4 x 24 x 2 in cylinders, the pressure on about half are 2500 psi, so I would set the relief pressures according.

The relief on each valve is designed to protect the components connected to the work ports. so you should set the pressure slightly less than the max pressure of the components.

If the cyl are 2500 psi rating, then set the relief valve at about 2450 psi.

If your cyl is 3000 psi rated, then you would be OK with system pressure. Valve relief for the cyl, would then be set to same as the system relief.

Last edited:
   / Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #8  
Easiest way? Just leave everything alone as long as your splitter has enough power. If you do need more power, put the gauge off of a work port, move the cylinder in that direction until it's at the end, and adjust your pressure relief. Don't worry too much about the exact setting, just keep it below 3kpsi. The cylinder may be rated for 2500, but they are tested at way more than that. Most of them have seals rated for 5kpsi or more anyway so going a little over the 2500 won't hurt anything.

Your cylinder was shipped dry. Install it, then run it out about 4" then back. Go out another 4" then back. This will get fluid to the seals asap. You don't want to run that thing all the way out with dry seals.

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #9  
What is the operating pressure required on the wood splitter (not on the CYL but on the splitter ) If the splitter was designed for a 1500 psi pump and the splitter was built around those spec's you could damage or bend the mechanical part of the splitter.
BTW if you changed the cyl to a larger or smaller one then you must adjust the pressure accordingly

/ Setting Log Splitter Relief Pressure? - JD Tractor #10  
What is the operating pressure required on the wood splitter (not on the CYL but on the splitter ) If the splitter was designed for a 1500 psi pump and the splitter was built around those spec's you could damage or bend the mechanical part of the splitter.
BTW if you changed the cyl to a larger or smaller one then you must adjust the pressure accordingly

Now this is the correct answer. Appears someone that knows of what he speaks. Increase the pressure if you have a welder and scap steel laying around to repair the splitter later.