Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #1  

jedjoe

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland TC 35A 2004
Hi guys,

Just bought a decently maintained 1999 Wood BH9000 backhoe. One of the swing cylinders is weeping hydraulic fluid, so I pulled the cylinder and I'm about to call around the local shops to get estimates on repacking the cylinder. It's a three inch diameter cylinder, about 15 1/2 inches long (not including the rod).

Any idea of a fair price range to expect for this kind of work. I've inspected the cylinder itself, including the rod extended, and it looks like all I'll need will be the repacking around the gland.

Should I also make sure they replace the seals around the piston, even if that shows no signs of deterioration?

Many thanks,

Jed

I've attached a photo of the cylinder.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 2,282
   / Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #2  
Around $150 in this area, assuming you won't need anything more than seal kit and labor

That's not a hard one to repack if you are mechanically inclined

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #3  
All seals should be replaced while it's apart, it's not anymore work cuz the cyl needs to be completely disassembled anyways...:2cents:

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #4  
To give an idea I just had the boom cylinder rebuilt on my back hoe. $234 included total rebuild /repack including a new cylinder as mine had a nick. They also had to cut the eye off the old cylinder and weld it to the new one. I considered that fairy reasonable

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #5  
Probably a couple hundred dollars depending on how easy the cylinder comes apart and if they have to order or go out and pick up the seals. Some guys will tell you to stick around while they tear it down so they can give you the old seals and wipes and you go get em and bring them back. Shop time for real shops is what they charge per hour and if they have to go out and find your seals, well ,they gotta charge for it.

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #6  
Seal kit should be $50-75. There are several threads which talk about rebuilding cylinders. As a previous poster stated, if mechanically inclined, you should be able to review the old thread and be successful. I recommend taking a photo or two of the old packings before removing for reference when reassembling. The newer seal kits may not be an exact match as technology improves over the years, so do the seal kits.

John

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #7  
My FEL lift cylinder cost $165 to rebuild due to scored rod. Price included kit, machined new rod and short hose, that was about 5 yrs ago. Cyl was 1' shaft and about 24" long lift cylinder on my Mitsubishi.
I even got to keep the old rod which made great pins.

/ Fair price estimate to repack a hydraulic cylinder #8  
First thing I would do would be search online for parts. Price them.

then call around. We can all tell you what it costs in our areas, or what we think, but you need to make calls in YOUR area. And if any of them are going to charge more than $100 in labor, I would be looking to do it myself. (actually if it were mine, I wouldnt even bother with the shops and be doing it myself anyway)