Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help?

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #1  

James Eric

Silver Member
What I know about hydraulics would fit on the back of a postage stamp. Please keep that in mind when you respond. A few years ago I built a loader on a Cub Cadet 1250 tractor. It works great but now I have a new project with the Case 444.

I would like to use the factory hydraulics to power the loader and keep the factory components operations. The case 444 has an hydraulic drive/transmission system plus and a lift circuit. A friend has suggested that I direct the output from the pump to the loader control valve and then use the power beyond to send the flow back to the Travel Control Valve which powers the drive circuit and lift circuit. The factory pump flows at 9-11 gpm. The loader control valve is rated at up to 25 gpm. He has one of his machine setup this way but that machine does not have a hydraulic drive/transmission circuit so I want some additional input.

It sounds workable to me, what do you think?

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #2  
If you put the loader in front of the transmission, you may lose traction/mobility when using the loader.

You could install a divider valve and send 3 GPM to the loader and the rest to the drive.

I have a divider/priority valve on my steering and lift circuit.

The steering is primary, and the loader uses what is left over.

If not steering, the lift gets full flow.

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help?
Thanks for the fast reply. I share your concerns that is why I posted the question. The other option is to send the power from the lift circuit to the loader before the lift cylinder. Then use the power beyond to send it to a second control valve that would it turn control the lift circuit. In other words, I would the factory lift valve only as a source of power.

James

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #5  
If it has a lift circuit, why don't you power the loader from that?

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #6  
Does it have a eaton drive in it? If you can't tell post a picture.

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help?
MossRoad, love your website...yes it has a lift circuit. I think my 2 best choices are the lift circuit or making a bracket for the v-belt pump that came with the loader.

LeeJohn, if I get a chance I will check on the drive.

Thanks

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #8  
Does it have a eaton drive in it? If you can't tell post a picture.

It is not a Hydrostatic drive, It is Hydraulic with a geroller pump and a hydraulic motor driving a two speed transaxle with 16" wheels. It uses motor oil, not hydraulic fluid.

Here are the two 446's that I used to have.

P7180004.JPG
P7180009.JPG

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #9  
You could use a seperate pump and valve as I use on my PT.

It is a small 3 GPM gear pump driven off the fan belt.

Your pump could supply the lift circuit and do everything you need to do.

Here is the pump.

http://www.baileynet.com/product/20269

Find yourself a low GPM valve and you are in business at little cost.

/ Case 444 Garden Tractor Hydraulic system help? #10  
The second picture I posted, reminded me that the "Hydraulic PTO" on the back, is connected first inline after the pump. And there is an optional Flow Control valve available for extra slow ground speed when using the tiller.
flow-control-valve.jpg

And had a drawing of the transaxle.
Case Trans-axle%204.jpg