JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE)

/ JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE) #1  

bullbreaker

Elite Member
Tractor
D Ranchers daughter'$
TractorData.com John Deere 820 tractor information

Trying to help a great friend of mine. "Preacher" lives about 8 miles away has a JD 820. Tractor had not been run been run in a while. We cleaned out completely fuel tank(found lots of dirt/grim etc). Put on new fuel filters ,new battery filled with fresh diesel. I haven't been able to get back over there . He says it cranks rite up and runs like a tiger and sounds real good but stalls after about 5 to 7 minutes of run time.He says when it stalls it doen'st sputter but just quits all at once like if you cut/switched it off. Then starts right up and does same thing all over again.Tractor has over 2500 hours. He's not a TBN member but reads threads here on occasion. Any thoughts on what to check next ? Also he says its blowing back up some oil from dipstick bottom ? Any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated. Maybe he will read this and get motivated and join TBN, or I can go by or call and continue to assist him.

Big Thanks in advance !

Boone

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 631
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 703
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 250
   / JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE) #2  
Boone, sounds almost like the problem I was having on my fathers 2520(72). It looks like the same style injection pump as well(roosa master). I started a thread on it in JD vintage. Got some excellent advice from Tx Jim.

Check the return at the injection pump. There is a wear ring in these pumps that deteriorate and clog it up. Just had mine built and put in new injectors.

/ JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE) #3  
I agree with YesDeere that the check valve in the return line fitting is more than likely plugged causing fuel pressure inside inj pump to get too high creating an inability of inj pump to pump fuel. Before I worried much about engine crankcase blow-by I'd suggest to run engine several hrs while monitoring the engine oil level

/ JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE) #4  
Ours was filling the crankcase with fuel, a lot of it. I tried the cheapest route first which was the lift pump. Then inj pump and injectors. The sleeve on the inside of the pump was worn,grooved, allowing fuel to enter the crank case. And the return was clogged with debris from the wear ring. She's running like a champ now!!

/ JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE)
Boone, sounds almost like the problem I was having on my fathers 2520(72). It looks like the same style injection pump as well(roosa master). I started a thread on it in JD vintage. Got some excellent advice from Tx Jim.

Check the return at the injection pump. There is a wear ring in these pumps that deteriorate and clog it up. Just had mine built and put in new injectors.

Thank you very much for your quick response and excellent advice also. Will pass info on to "Preacher" and probably go over Sat. to check it out. Will post results of finding when we get it running steady.

Boone

I agree with YesDeere that the check valve in the return line fitting is more than likely plugged causing fuel pressure inside inj pump to get too high creating an inability of inj pump to pump fuel. Before I worried much about engine crankcase blow-by I'd suggest to run engine several hrs while monitoring the engine oil level

TX Jim thank you also Sir !
Will post results of finding when we get it running steady.
If something else comes to mind please let us know. Thanks again ! :thumbsup:

Boone

/ JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE) #7  
only other thing is be sure this electric fuel solenoid has electricity

Attachments

• R31307_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R31307_________UN01JAN94.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 196
   / JD 820 HELP (MADE IN GERMANY ENGINE) #8  
Good point. Looks like it has been been jumped off of for something else. Also I don't trust those unsealed connectors.

Got it ! Thanks again to both of You's ."Preacher" been reading this advise and just told me he's gonna start checking what You men suggested. Also yes unsealed connectors, etc. Preacher said from this TBN positive experience he will probably join soon.
Said to tell Ya's big thank-You ! We'll keep Ya's posted.
Thanks again to ALL !

Boone

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 192