JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged #1  

chrisophersunrise

Tractor
I have a JD 2840 while I was operating it began to feel like the brakes started to engage stopped the tractor and killed the engine. I start it but when I take my foot of the clutch the engine dies no matter what gear or hi low position selected. My hydraulics still operate as normal to include the pto. Any thoughts on where to start my trouble shooting?

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged #2  
Are you sure the parking brake is not partially engaged? This would be my first thought, the emergency brake was left partially engaged and as it gets hotter and hotter the more drag you get till it stalls the engine.

How about a mower attachment, is it on the tractor, could be something wrapped around the spindles and choking down the engine.

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged #3  
Are you sure it's not in 2 gears at the same time? The tabs on the shift rails that gearshift lever fits into have been known to break off leaving trans in a gear.

Attachments

• RP512__________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP512__________UN01JAN94.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 689
   / JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged
Are you sure the parking brake is not partially engaged? This would be my first thought, the emergency brake was left partially engaged and as it gets hotter and hotter the more drag you get till it stalls the engine.

How about a mower attachment, is it on the tractor, could be something wrapped around the spindles and choking down the engine.

It acted as if the parking prake was engaged but it is not and was not during operation. Nothing is hooked up to the pto. Important note I left out it stalls even if my hi lo range and the gears are in the neutral position when I let the clutch out after starting it now.

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged
Are you sure it's not in 2 gears at the same time? The tabs on the shift rails that gearshift lever fits into have been known to break off leaving trans in a gear.

I took off the cover plate in the picture you posted. Where the selector levers engage the shift rails (31,28,26,20) in the diagram everything seams normal. Could there be a problem at the other end of the shift rails?

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged #6  
It's possible the set screw that attaches fork to rail has loosened. Also it's possible a gear has galled to a shaft. Has tractor ever been operated real low on hyd fluid??

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged #7  
as txjim stated the two post shifter on the 40 series is troublesome at times, it sure sounds like its stuck in two gears, do both sticks return to the neutral position ? or does one feel like different than the other,

/ JD 2840 won't go hydraulics and pto are working engine dies when clutch is disengaged #8  
Try towing the tractor a few feet distance in "neutral"

Is there a service port on the bel housing ? Have you followed the clutch service steps in the operator's manual?