Z425 vs Z445

/ Z425 vs Z445 #1  

duanegossett

I am considering buying either the Deere Z425 or the Z445 zero turn mower. I have looked at both (and driven the 425), and the only difference between them is the higher seat back on the Z445 and the Kawasaki 25hp on the 445 vs the Deere B & S 23hp on the 425. The seat difference is no big deal to me. Is the $800+ difference in price worth it to get the Kawasaki engine? I listened to both run. The sales guy said the Kawasaki was a little smoother at wide open throttle. I'm not mowing commercially, just my 1.5 acre lawn maybe once a week. Is one engine any quieter than the other? The B & S on the Z425 seemed pretty quiet, but it was not at full throttle as I was driving slowly around the parking lot. Just looking for some advice from anyone who might have used both models. Thanks for any help!

/ Z425 vs Z445 #2  
Sorry Duane, no answer from me on this since I'm interested in the same thing. Maybe someone will pop up and answer this. I'm trying to compare the 445 with Toro ZX5450, Ferris IS 1500, Exmark Quest SP and maybe a Hustler. My old STX38 just doesn't wanna play anymore. Oh it still runs...just takes so long to mow our 1 1/2 acres. Problem is I can't drive any of them since I'm working overseas but want to get the misses something to run. She'd probably be happiest with the Ferris since our ground is a bit rough but she's used the STX on our old 1/2 acre lot. Cheers, Wayne

/ Z425 vs Z445 #3  
The Kawi by far is the better engine. Also it's not really fair to compare the hp levels from Briggs to Kawasaki both mfg rate their engines differently. Not putting down the briggs by any means but the Kawasaki boys have them beat hands down. But any machine with proper mtc should last a long time.

/ Z425 vs Z445 #4  
You may get more replies in the lawn equipment forum.

Matt:thumbsup:

/ Z425 vs Z445 #5  
I purchased the Z 445 last year after having a GT 235 for 10 years. The GT had a 18 hp B&S that still ran but the idleing was beginning to get rough. I kept it in my shop indoors for the 10 years I had it and cut 2 acres for the most of the time. I am cutting 5 acres with the Z445 and really like the Kawi. The qualty of cut is what sold me on the Deere. The GT still cut the way it did when it was brand new, just a pretty, even cut. The deck is basically the same on the Z445 as the GT. Good Luck in your choice.

/ Z425 vs Z445 #6  
I have owned a John Deere Z445 for two years and love it. (233 hrs on it) I too had the choice to make,but this convinced me on the Z445. It has two hydraulic motors with a large hydraulic resevoir. It runs cooler oil temps. Is only sold at dealerships, not at Lowes or Home Depot. The models the dealers sell are better than the Johnny junk and no service at the big box stores.
I got the dealer to upgrade for $50 and got the better seat with armrests. You will want the armrests. Deere has the best cutting deck out there. It cuts like a champ on 2.5 acres and my wife loves the speed of mowing. I got the Briggs engine. The Kawi is smoother, but it cost $500 more and the Briggs is reliable. Only bad thing is the battery location is hard to change and a bungie strap holds it in place. Also it only starts on full choke, even when hot. Otherwise it is a wonderful machine and very fast.

/ Z425 vs Z445 #7  
Just to echo what others have said - I love my Z445 too. I am up to 60 hours and still running strong. I am upgrading to gator blades this week. Every 'season' (once/year) I order the maintenance kit and give it an oil change, filter, new plugs, air filter, fuel filter. The Kawasaki engine is great.

My only small complaint is that it is a bumpy ride, but that's my yard more than the mower :)

/ Z425 vs Z445 #8  
Sorry Duane, no answer from me on this since I'm interested in the same thing. Maybe someone will pop up and answer this. I'm trying to compare the 445 with Toro ZX5450, Ferris IS 1500, Exmark Quest SP and maybe a Hustler. My old STX38 just doesn't wanna play anymore. Oh it still runs...just takes so long to mow our 1 1/2 acres. Problem is I can't drive any of them since I'm working overseas but want to get the misses something to run. She'd probably be happiest with the Ferris since our ground is a bit rough but she's used the STX on our old 1/2 acre lot. Cheers, Wayne

I have the hustler super z with the spring casters on front. It is a really nice unit on the rough ground.

/ Z425 vs Z445 #9  
I have the 445 with the 54" hi capacity deck that I bought last year. The cut is beautiful, can't be beat. The K engine will get you through anything, sorry guys I'm not a fan of B&S even with Deere's name on it. I also agree to buy it from a dealer and not a box store. You get so much more from a good dealer, my guy is like gold. May cost you a few bucks more but you get someone who actually knows what a machine does and can direct you to the right machine for you. I just loaded the rear tires on my 445 and it makes a big difference if you have some hills on you land like I do. If you property is very hilly don't get a zturn. Period!
Just my 2 cents.
Rob

/ Z425 vs Z445 #10  
Hello All

I recently purchased a JD 445 and am very happy with it..I have been doing a lot of reading lately and noticed quite a few people are starting to buy aftermarket snow plows for their ZT Mowers..and are happy with the job it does.

Any opinions on this and has anybody found one to correctly attach to a JD 445

Thanks
Joe