Z520a right side transmission

/ Z520a right side transmission #1  

1FAST450R

Tractor
John Deere Z520a
The right side transmission went on my 2009 Z520a. John Deere part #TCA16979. I can not find it anywhere because it is a discontinued part. I went as far as calling the plant where the mower was manufactured to see if they had one covered in dust in a dark corner somewhere. No luck. I even called the company that made the part for John Deere and nothing.
John Deere customer service is a joke and that got me nowhere very fast. Has anyone rebuilt one of these or know of anywhere I can buy one? New or used at this point. Any input would be appreciated.

/ Z520a right side transmission
Tried there. The sites show them in stock but for an item like this I always make it a point to call and check stock. No dice.
I’ve made at least 15-20 calls to the websites checking. According to the John Deere dealerships there are none available in the USA within their network. Nothing on eBay either.

Yeah I will try them tomorrow. The guy at Parker Hannifin told me that Tuff Torque is now making the transmissions. Hopefully they will have a interchangeable part for me. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the input guys. If Tuff Torque can’t help me I will have low hour parts for sale including 60” 7 iron deck with a bagging system for sale.lol

/ Z520a right side transmission #6  
You might be thinking outside the box here. I would think that Parkin Hannifin would have many distributors that would have a used transmission and also parts to repair your unit. Surely, there are parts available and this transmission isn't all that problematic to rebuild. I'm also doubtable that Tuff Torg would have a hydro unit to match the mounting holes on the Z520A frame.

I wish that was the case. I had a good conversation with a guy at Parker Hannifin at the hydro facility in Tennessee yesterday. He explained to me that Parker Hannifin and John Deere had a falling out and all of the transmissions and spare parts were sent to the John Deere plant in Farquhar NC. I called the John Deere plant hoping that they would have one covered in dust in a dark corner somewhere but no luck. And no spare parts either.
I spoke with Tuff Torq this morning and they have nothing. Parker Hannifin pumps mount vertically and Tuff Torq pumps mount horizontally.
So it looks like its time to stop beating this dead horse. I know one thing for sure. I will NEVER EVER own another John Deere product till the day I die. If anyone on here is looking for any parts (minus the right side transmission) please pm me. I will let them go cheap.
My model is a 2009 John Deere Z520A. It has a 60" 7 iron deck that will come with a $2,500 bagging system that i purchased two years ago. Everything is super low hours. I believe it only has 150 hrs total on the machine.

/ Z520a right side transmission #8  
We all have our beefs on what brand(s) that best suits our needs. Sorry, to read that John Deere won't be within eye distance on your property. But, you must realize that John Deere didn't make that "poor quality" Parkin Hannifin transmission, and I can understand why there was a "falling out" of sorts why JD no longer installs that brand in the mowers. I would bet that over 96% of the failed parts on any brand of lawn tractor is not the parts that is made my the brand manufacturer...that 96% is the engine, transmission and PTO guys.
I've own many John Deere tractors and have complaints on one that Deere didn't pay any attention to when they made it in 1999. Items on these tractors are expensive and when the unit is no longer made the parts get hard to locate. The transmissions (2) are Tuff Torg brand on my Z710A are $1799.00 ea.

So, as you mentioned... I would remove the items and clean them up and sell them on ebay. The left side unit probably would sell (bids) go as $900-1000.00. The engine may get $600.00 and tires may get you another $300.00. The deck itself would benefit $700.00. There you have $2500-$2600 money coming your way.

Last edited: