5420 hour meter on the blink

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with theirs. its an LCD type. The rest of the guages work fine. Tach, temp, fuel, idiot lights. Just the hour meter. I don't want to replace the whole console. $$$$

Tractor is 2002 with about 500 hours.

If I can't get it to work, I guess I'll buy a small replacement and mount it somewhere.

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #2  
Did you look at JDParts to see if you can just replace the LCD hour meter?

I've always wondered if lot's of direct sunlight could kill those LCD's...??

'Course about as much time to look up the schematic diagram and your dealer's shop foreman could tell you what you need to do, too!

AKfish

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #3  
I have a 4400 a couple of years older than yours with a defective hour meter. It works only very occasionally. Sometimes a good smack to the cowling will get it to work for a while. I saw a thread here sometime ago that suggested a bad ground connection for the dash circuitry was the problem but I have not been able to find it again.

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #4  
I've always wondered if lot's of direct sunlight could kill those LCD's...??

By that - I meant; the meter is still operational. But, the display is no longer readable as the pixels, or whatever in the matrix have been damaged and are not visible.

AKfish

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink
Well, it was working fine and clearly legible one day and the next, pooof*!

AK, I asked down at the dealership and didn't hear anything I liked. I think the cluster sells for about $400 or so.

I was guessing if it was a ground, then the tach or other stuff would quit working also.

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #6  
Well, it was working fine and clearly legible one day and the next, pooof*!

AK, I asked down at the dealership and didn't hear anything I liked. I think the cluster sells for about $400 or so.

I was guessing if it was a ground, then the tach or other stuff would quit working also.

Ouch..!! That's just not right! :mad:

$400 to replace the entire instrument cluster -- because one single component failed! :thumbdown: Yeah, I'd think that if the problem were a bad ground or a short - the other instruments would also be haywire.

I do not understand the manufacturing philosophy behind that kind of repair/replacement system....

AKfish

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #7  
I had to have mine replaced at 200 hours. I think it is a typical problem.

I had to have mine replaced at 200 hours. I think it is a typical problem.
Yes, it is a shame that it went out and it costs so much to replace but, this tractor only had around 400-450 hours. A bunch of the value in the tractor is attributed to the very low hours that it has. This is mainly why I want it fixed.

So, I still haven't replace the instrument panel (which is now $498) in order to fix the hour meter.

Burnetma, did the tech find a loose wire or anything when yours was replaced?

/ 5420 hour meter on the blink #10  
Take a look at this site, just read the return policy first. John Deere Parts Superstore for John Deere Lawn Tractors, John Deere Gators, John Deere Walk Behind Mowers and all John Deere Equipment, including John Deere Accessories.. If your part number is Re232258 their cost is $444 + shipping and no sales tax.

Does the LCD hour meter come on? If no, does the Charging System Indicator light come on? If no, to both questions, check the wire coming from the alternator. If it is like the 5X10 it will be a red wire number 82.