Engine Oil for JD 3520

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520 #1  

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL
My tractor is out of warranty on my JD 3520 so I'm going to start changing the oil and filter myself. What type of engine oil do you guys recommend? How much oil does the engine hold?

The manual says John Deere Plus-50, is that a 15-W40 type?

I tried a search but couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520 #2  
I just changed mine in my 3720. I used Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic and their EA15K20 oil filter.

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520 #3  
15W40 is just fine. I've always owned turbo-diesels, so am pretty faithful to Shell Rotella-T. My manual says the 3520 crankcase + filter takes 4.8 liters (5.1 quarts)

//greg//

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520
15W40 is just fine. I've always owned turbo-diesels, so am pretty faithful to Shell Rotella-T. My manual says the 3520 crankcase + filter takes 4.8 liters (5.1 quarts)

//greg//

Thanks greg_g and dschuffert for your replies. Its always good to hear what other people have done and had success with.

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520 #5  
Have always used Chevron Delo 400 15/40 in my diesels for the last 20 years or so, no oil related problems yet. Costco usually has it on sale several times per year.

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520 #6  
I use the Delo 400 since a generator guy with 40+ years of installing, rebuilding/tearing down indicated that he sees a drastic (positive) difference in engines with hours that have strictly used that particular oil, and would recommend nothing else for diesel generators. We have a propane one at work (cleanest going but little less power than gas), on that he liked the Mobil 1 synthetic we use. I always used Rotella previously and had no bad experiences with it, but have hundreds of hours of experience rather than the tens of thousands he sees in some of his remote 24/7 applications. He wasn't trying to sell us anything and just asked about the tractor and indicated he'd only use the Delo on it or any diesel, so I made the switch.

/ Engine Oil for JD 3520 #7  
Presumably you're talking about a single viscosity Delo 400. Because - in the interest of full disclosure - stationary diesels (generators/pumps/etc) are not regularly subjected to the variable load and ambient temperature characteristics inherent to motive diesels. So the approach to lube oil selection is typically more straightforward. Marine and indoor applications for example, can often get by year 'round with a single viscosity diesel-rated engine oil

//greg//