Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet-

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet- #1  

BankerDude

Tractor
Kioti DK 40 SE
Just bought a used Kioti DK 40 SE Manual with shuttle shift transmission. Tractor is a 2007 with a little over 400 hours on it. I suspected that all fluids needed changing so went to work this weekend. Oil change was a snap, but dropped the hydraulic oil and found a few filings on the magnet. I read in the poorly worded owners manual to remove the filings, but I can't help but wonder, how much should I expect to find? A side note, putting one of the drain plugs back in nearly cost me my religion. I had a heck of a time getting the plug started. Wasn't sure if it was something to do with the magnets or the threads. Shouldn't need to remove again for some time (200 hrs), but will remember the time it took.
Thanks for any thoughts on the filings!

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet- #2  
Theres been a lot of folks on here that have reported filings on the drain plug, I havent seen any on mine yet that make me nervous, but a lot have reported some. I wouldnt worry too much of everything seems smooth and works nice. My buddy has an 04 dk since new, and has worked flawlessly for him since with standard maintenance

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet- #3  
Initially, most tractors show metal filings on the magnets. Some metal filings are introduced during the manufacturing process as a factory contaminate, and some come normally from initial breakin of your tractor. These metal filings should decrease during usage. You should be concerned if you see metal filings increasing during tractor ownership.

Actually, I would be more concerned about how very long it took you to screw in your oil drain plugs after your oil drain. Hopefully the previous owner of the tractor did not cross thread the drain plug during his last oil change. That could explain your difficulty.

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet-
Yes, cross threading did come to mind, and inspected the threads. Didn't notice anything inside the pan, and the plug looked ok too. Was glad to have it back together. Thanks for your replies!

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet- #5  
Fine filings are very normal for gearboxes of most any kind. Wouldn't happen to have a photo of that magnet with the filings on it handy?

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet- #6  
While I don't own Kioti's, I own a pair of Kubota's, I still get 'filings' as you call them on the magnets of my hydraulic oil system and some on my crankcase drain plug when I change the fluids and both mine have at least 2000 hours on the meter and one has over 4000 hours. No big deal. it's parts wearing inside. Nothing more. Try pulling the drain plug on the differential of your ride sometime and see the stuff hanging on that magnet. You'll be amazed. Chips will be from manufaturing, filings are there all the time.

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet-
No pics, never thought about taking pics of it while changing. Makes sense about filings in gear boxes, and that's why they put magnets on the drain plugs. Thanks!

/ Hydraulic Oil Change- Metal filings on magnet- #8  
Don't forget the hyd fluid is also the lube for your entire gear case and transmission. It is probably the first time the Hyd fluid has been changed, and if the PO tended to grind the gears some you would definitely see some filings.