Why no more B2400?

/ Why no more B2400? #1  

Illiniwek

Tractor
Kubota B2400
I've recently purchased a used B2400, and after having visited Kubota.com, I've learned that it's a model no longer in production. Does anybody know why they stopped making that model? Thanks.

/ Why no more B2400? #2  
They went to the B2410...same basic tractor as yours, but with a few upgrades. Some others might know what all of those upgrades are....

/ Why no more B2400? #3  
Charliebrn gave the only answer that I could've come up with.

Kelvin

/ Why no more B2400? #4  
The 2410 has greater hydrualic capacity, greater 3-point capacity and then there are a few differences in control layout--well--more like a change from plastic guide slots to metal etc. There was a B1700, 2100 and 2400 and these were dropped in favor of the BX series, the B7500 and the B2410. It was a B1700 I originally wanted--all three tractors shared the same frame etc. Here is a pic of an older B series, probably a B2100 because it does not have the fender flares the B2400 had, I think these were plastic and are now metal on the 2410 (the flares). The black guide tracks are metal now as I stated also. All in all they are essentially the same tractor, hope you enjoy it, it is a nice machine. J

Attachments

• 2-136673-Oldb.jpg
    2-136673-Oldb.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 272
   / Why no more B2400? #5  
The Carver website has a good answer on the 2410 versus the 2400.

/ Why no more B2400? #6  
To answer your question, they never really stopped making the B2400. All they did was make a few minor changes and added a "10" on to the name. It is still the same tractor. The Carver comparison that Bill refered to is located at:

http://carverequipment.com/b2400v2410.htm

I do not agree with a couple of points made in the Carver comparison.

The Carver comparison says the engine has a little higher HP in the 2410. Kubota says that both the B2400 and B2410 engines are rated at exactly the same HP gross and PTO HP. It is the same engine with the same displacement on both tractors. The 2410 engine can not produce more HP if it is rated at the same HP. The PTO HP is the same as well, indicating there are no differences in transmission efficiency, at least to the PTO shaft.

The B2410 does have a higher flow rating for the hydraulics than the B2400. The Carver comparison seems to say this translates into more 3 point lift capacity. Kubota says the the additional 3 point capacity on the B2410 is due to changes with the mechanical linkage ratio. This lift capacity has nothing to do with the extra flow available in the B2410. (See explaination below.)

Pumping extra hydraulic flow takes horsepower. I don't believe there is any way to turn off the hydraulic pump on the B2410, so if there is any difference, it is the B2410 that has less available HP for everything except hydraulics. If the extra flow is not being used, then only a little more HP is needed to generate the extra 1.2 gal/min of hydraulic flow, but there is a difference.

I posted this a while ago and it explains the "increased" 3 point lift capacity in the B2410. The holes I refer to below are the holes midway in the 3 point arms that the 3pt lift rods attach to.

When I got my B2400 the lift rods were in the holes closest to the tractor. I have never moved them and have never been in a situation where I didn't have enough lifting power. I was at the dealer the other day and looked at a B2410. The B2410 is listed as having more 3 point lift capacity than the B2400, 1655 lbs vs 1280 lbs at the lift point. When the B2410 came out I assumed that they had upgraded the hydraulics to get the extra lift capacity. The other day I noticed in a write up on the B2410 that it said they changed the link ratio to increase the power 28%. This implied that they didn't change the hydraulics. I took some measurements of the 3 pt arms, the distance of the 2 holes in the 3 pt arms and the rockshaft arms. They are all the same size on both the B2400 and the B2410. The only difference I could find for the change in link ratio was that the B2400 had the lift rods in the holes close to the tractor and the B2410 used the holes further away. I did a quick calculation and the extra lift you get by using the holes further away is the same as the extra lift advertized for the B2410. If you have a B2400 and wished you had the B2410 lift capacity, now you know how to "upgrade".

Andy