Studded Turf tires?

/ Studded Turf tires? #1  

Mowbizz

Platinum Member
Tractor
'14 Kubota BX25D
Anyone done it? The do sell kits to do it yourself and I'm thinking about it for my asphalt driveway (the steep part)
When I don't use my Honda tracked blower (small snowfalls or ice) which seems to be every storm this year...I simply push the snow around with my bucket. Trouble is, depending on the temperature, the sttep part of my drive gets a glaze on it and it's impossible to get traction all the way up again. I have done the "out of control" slide back down the hill too many times this winter..it really is uncanny how the Hydrostatic trans offers no stopping solution once traction is lost...brakes do nothing...only way to slow the slide is to lower the bucket (thank god for that).
Tell me why I shouldn't invest in a tire studding kit...or anyone who has studded their turfs, please advise!

/ Studded Turf tires? #2  
I would look at getting chains. I am looking for a set to fit mine now.

/ Studded Turf tires? #3  
Studs in turfs may be just what you need for that little extra. They do make a difference in car tire's.

/ Studded Turf tires? #4  
Just so happens that I have studs in my fronts which are new this winter and I find steering is very
much improved if that is any indication.
(my rears are chained for traction)

LOL, now when I skid down the hill I can steer to where I am better off.

/ Studded Turf tires? #5  
   / Studded Turf tires? #6  
40 years ago, I had studded snow tires. Now not legal in Michigan on the roadways. But turfs sure look a lot like snow tires to me.

You might want to compare the cost to chains. Chains worked great on my 2N.

/ Studded Turf tires? #7  
I just took a quick look. What I found is that studs are cheaper than chains in the short term.

/ Studded Turf tires? #8  
My 2 cents, studs are always there, what will that do to your drive if you drive on it alot? Chains are a little hassle but can be removed.
Rob111

/ Studded Turf tires? #9  
Studs beat chains on ice :thumbsup:
Your diff lock should be providing you far more additional control on ice then you described, are you using it?

On my motorcycles I use super inexpensive hex head sheet metal screws for studs, they work awesome.

902142_usn_6f9b4ebd-bb52-45a6-99a5-eb46dc787178_large.jpeg

You could wind them back out when you don't need them, watch to make sure you don't tear any out of the tire in winter, or your car will find them in the spring ;)
Then you might need one of these:

Metal-Detector.jpg