Comparison XR4040H vs XR4140H

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #1  

TheSpoon

Silver Member
Tractor
LS 4046H
Hello TBN. I'll jump right to the chase. I've been looking at getting a 40ish HP tractor. My eyes are set on (prices are out the door, FEL, loaded R1s):

• Kubota L4600 (New, Tier 3, 46HP) - $26,238
  • LS XR4040H (2013 - 300hr, Tier 4, 40HP) - $21,200
  • LS XR4140H (New, Tier 3, 40HP) - $26,023

I think, I've really narrowed it down to the L4600 and the XR4040 and am really leaning the LS way. However, the Tier 3 vs Tier 4 is throwing me. Just how much is the difference worth to people? I've read (comparing the LS's) that the 4040 will regen about every 50 hours and the 4140 about 300. Has that been the "real-world" use case? Does is really matter? I'm good with the tractor needing to regen, but it will get kinda old if (worst case scenario) I have to let the tractor sit idle every couple weeks if I've finished my work but it hasn't finished its regen cycle. If that's the case, and it's not worth the $5k difference, then I'll probably lean the way of the 'bota, but am really curious what others thoughts are.

Thanks,

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #2  
Not sure on the Kubota but your info on the LS XR4140H is wrong.
The XR4040H has a tier 4, 4 cyl. Shibaura engine.
The XR4140H has the new tier 4, 3 cyl. LS engine.
Both are 40 HP rated.
The LS engine XR4140H has the 50 hour regen cycle.
The Shibaura engine XR4040H has an every 5 hour regen cycle.
My XR3037HC also has a Shibaura and regens every 5 hours. I check my dash gauges every so often and if I'm almost done using it and it hasn't gone into regen mode I hit the regen inhibit switch. This prevents it from going into regen so I don't have to leave it running until the cycle is completed. It automatically returns to normal mode the next time I start the tractor so it can regen then if it needs to.
I have about 87 hours on mine so I know it has gone into regen a bunch of times while I was running the tractor. It cycled through each cycle without me noticing any difference in performance.

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H
Crap. Yeah, you're right. Sorry, fat fingered the Tier on the 4140. That's good to know on the frequency of the regen cycles (though off the top of my head, those seem quite a bit more frequent then others). And basically what I get from your post is that my worries are unfounded. Assuming the 4040 isn't beat to **** in it's 300 hours of use, it's probably a good deal.

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #4  
I wouldn't worry about the regen and 300 hours isn't much use (barely broken in). You should be able to tell if it has been abused or not. Ask the dealer what the story is. Why was it traded in etc.
I see ads on CL for a new XR4140HC for $29.7K (only 3700 more than your non cabbed quote)
The new Kubota L4600 (46HP) is way more tractor. Hard to believe it's a new tier 3 leftover but I'm not up on Kubota models and no regen on tier 3.

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #5  
You will not notice the regen. cycle during operation. No reduction in power as long as you don't keep inhibiting it.

I too can't comment on the Kubota. I had a Kubota B2710 but, it was a Tier 3 and very reliable.

When I was shopping for a new small tractor, I priced comparable 45-50 HP tractors. The Kubotas always me out several $thousands more than the LS I bought.

I think that LS offers great value but, the dealer can be a big part of the value proposition as well. I have a great dealer! I drove past two other LS Dealers to buy my tractor 100 miles away.

Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #6  
Does $21,200 for a 2 year old XR4040 with 300 hrs. sound just a lil high? Maybe its not since nobody commented on it?, I think the new XR 4140 might be on the high side, I realize its a hydro. they are usually around a thousand more than a shuttle. I have been looking at a new XR4140 s/s that I am seriously considering for $23,800

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H
I wouldn't worry about the regen and 300 hours isn't much use (barely broken in). You should be able to tell if it has been abused or not. Ask the dealer what the story is. Why was it traded in etc.
I see ads on CL for a new XR4140HC for $29.7K (only 3700 more than your non cabbed quote)
The new Kubota L4600 (46HP) is way more tractor. Hard to believe it's a new tier 3 leftover but I'm not up on Kubota models and no regen on tier 3.
The dealer said this tractor was traded back in from a guy that wanted to move up to a bigger tractor. He's traded in 3 times now, going larger each time. Unfortunately, I won't be getting a cabbed unit. I plan on doing a lot of trail work and am not interested in replacing a blown out window every season (or putting in a piece of plexi from the hardware store every time). When I visited the Kubota dealer back in early Dec he had mentioned then that he had this 4600 still in the crate, at the time I was looking at their Tier 4 L3301. I was (and still am) pretty certain that the 4600 was more tractor then I needed, but at the time, it was only going to be a $1.5k cost increase vs the 3301, and for that price I thought it made sense to stick with Tier 3 and get a bigger tractor. The loss of the end of year rebates through a wrench in that plan though.

A question from your other comment too George. What do you typically do with your tractor? Are you running a rotary mower or something where you're keeping the RPMs up so you wouldn't notice the regen (or do you usually just keep it in the higher range even if piddling)?

Does $21,200 for a 2 year old XR4040 with 300 hrs. sound just a lil high? Maybe its not since nobody commented on it?, I think the new XR 4140 might be on the high side, I realize its a hydro. they are usually around a thousand more than a shuttle. I have been looking at a new XR4140 s/s that I am seriously considering for $23,800

Well, I can't really comment on used prices, as I haven't found any used LS's locally. A new 4040H from another dealer runs $25,400 and a 4140H runs about $26,000 (those aren't complete out the door prices, but pretty close). I haven't asked for a new price from this dealer, but I plan on going to see the used 4040 this weekend and will discuss it with him then.

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #8  
A question from your other comment too George. What do you typically do with your tractor? Are you running a rotary mower or something where you're keeping the RPMs up so you wouldn't notice the regen (or do you usually just keep it in the higher range even if piddling)?

My main use is plowing snow in winter. I usually run around 2000 RPM in mid range. The rest of the year I use my flail mower, backhoe, box blade, forks w/ thumb and post hole digger. Flail usually requires 22-2400 RPM, other attachments I run at 15-1800 RPM. I'm usually watching what I'm doing rather than the gauges other than an occasional glance so don't always see the regen lights come on.
I can't really comment on prices either as I have not kept up since my purchase almost 2 years ago. I can say I paid less for my XR3037HC than your quote for the XR4140H without cab.

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H #9  
Everyone on here always says get the next size bigger than what you think u might need. I guess the guy that had the XR 4040 proves that point, since he has traded 3 times.......WOW!

/ XR4040H vs XR4140H
Well, bad news/good news. Went to look at the used 4040. Turns out it was a 4040 gear and I'm really looking for the convenience of the HST (and the ability for my wife and sons (when they're old enough) to use it without much hassle). So that was out. Talked with the owner about getting a 4040H ordered, and he said he could. However, he has a 4046H on the lot that he was willing to part with for only $200 more than he would charge to order a new 4040 (and over $1k cheaper than the next lowest dealer on a 4046). So (after figuring out the payments with the s/o) I'll be going in pay for a new 4046H, 72" rotary mower, and 72" box blade. Woot!