Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine?

/ Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine? #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Suddenly my 2013 Max28XL Shuttle will not fire up, cranks fine??

I use the tractor regularly, it has been firing up easily for over 3 years.

Today it would not light up cranked. Cranks strong, and I tested battery and it is good. I'm Keeping batter charged.

Glow Plugs seem to be cycling fine and normal.

I can hear the fuel pump. Temp is 70 Deg. Fuel Filter is clear.

I checked fuses and all lights, starting switches are fine, and battery cranks strong.

And it smokes white, grey smoke when cranked. It smells diesel vapor. There is after smoke after cranking. It kind of seems flooded?

Again it was running strong and starting easily, being well maintained and never would hiccup or start oddly.

Does anyone have any Thoughts?

Appreciated. Thanks.

/ Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine? #2  
I would check to see if your glow plugs are getting power, and they are good. Those small indirect injection diesels will usually not start very easy without a little glo plug heat to get them firing. If you have voltage, then I would check resistance on each one to make sure they are not burned out. Should be in the neighborhood of 1 ohm or less... depending.... plus or minus, etc.... Also, a pluged air intake or filter will do that. Some diesels like to be cranked at a certain RPM to fire, and don't like to start at a lower one.

/ Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine?
Re: Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine? Mahinhra and Electrical

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-owning-operating/372593-3016-cranks-but-wont-start.html

X 2 here. It was the Glow plug connector. Thank you TBN!
Back running again. I don't want to deal with this crap in my life.

Mahindra may have Lucas electrical beat for being the "Prince of Darkness"

I'd say the one major thing of all the less than leading brand quality issues that Mahindra is weak on is electrical.

Most of the components are ok, it is the execution and the wiring and connectors.

Wiring and connectors on my 2013 MAX28 just are not thought out well and protected from hash enviormenets like say my old 1982 Kubota B7200D or 2005 Kubota L39
The wiring on my 1982 Kubota still worked and was sealed after +30 Years, unless mechanically damaged. I am impressed at those little details.
Quality of connectors are not as good on the Max28, as they are subject to water and dirt entrance, and the connector metallurgy/plating make them subject to corrosion.
When I pulled the fuses they were all covered in dirt and crud. A simple thing like a gasket and sealing where the wires enter the back of the box on the fuse box cover would stop this.
I don't look forward to future electrical problems as the machine ages.
Same goes for paint, plastic decals, fasteners, fittings etc.

Gasifier would probably still have his new Mahindra if it were not for these "little' things. Seems like he loves the used M59 however.

These little switches can give you fits:
Mahindra Max Won't Start! ,, Here is why and how to Fix it :) - YouTube

/ Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine? #4  
GLOW PLUGS ! Check power. Remove plugs and test resistance ! Known issue !

GLOW PLUGS ! Check power. Remove plugs and test resistance ! Known issue !

I know, see above all fixed, just bad connection/ resistance. Like they could have used some copper, vs aluminum, Maybe they have not heard of galvanic corrosion.

/ Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine? #6  

I recently had the same problem and after reading mike69440's reply I checked my GP power connection and cleaned it up and it still didn't start. At that point I called in my dealer's diesel mechanic and he had it running in 15 minutes. It was a corroded connector, just not where you could see it. He cut the factory connector off and put a plain ring connector on. He then took the factory connector apart to show me the problem and said it can take years for it ti happen but usually does. I've attached some photos, hope this helps. 20191014_141331.jpg20191014_141308.jpg20191014_141058.jpg

That is the one of difference between a Kubota and the Max28. Electrical, Paint Plastics, Hydraulics, Corrosion resistance of hardware, all better on Kubota.
I went in eyes wide open, the Max28 is stronger & I like the 4 X 4 Shuttle. Overall happy with the Max. Save thousands at the time but now the Max seems pricey.

/ Suddenly Max28 will not fire up, but cranks fine? #8  

I recently had the same problem and after reading mike69440's reply I checked my GP power connection and cleaned it up and it still didn't start. At that point I called in my dealer's diesel mechanic and he had it running in 15 minutes. It was a corroded connector, just not where you could see it. He cut the factory connector off and put a plain ring connector on. He then took the factory connector apart to show me the problem and said it can take years for it ti happen but usually does. I've attached some photos, hope this helps.View attachment 624973View attachment 624972View attachment 624971
Thanks for this information, I had the same problem. Nine years of trouble free service 'til now. Was able to purchase a ring connector and fix it myself. Started right up perfect like it always did before. What a weird failure, never would have figured it out myself. . .

be glad this did not hao
Thanks for this information, I had the same problem. Nine years of trouble free service 'til now. Was able to purchase a ring connector and fix it myself. Started right up perfect like it always did before. What a weird failure, never would have figured it out myself. . .
be glad this did not happen to you!