MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit.

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #1  

IKjarval

Hi. I have a MF 390T, 18 speed. 3 speed forward, then low-medium-high and then high-low electric button on the shift knob. All together 18 speed. The gear shift goes into the side of the range unit behind the transmission. Something is wrong with the low-medium-high shifting inside the range unit. I can sometimes get it into low but not into medium or high. I took out the gearshift from the side of the range unit but no wear on it or sign of bending. Any suggestions or advice?

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit.
Not to be too negative, but this issue is a crisis in my farming operation. I have two 390T´s and when one of them went like this last week I am in a bad place, haying about to start. I talked to my local shop who used to be a Massey Ferguson dealer but no more and he did not know about this issue or so he said. I then showed him a printout from the British forum and he looked surprised. I also talked to the nearest Massey Ferguson dealer and he like the first one, talked about bent forks in the transmission. Only when I told him about this spring issue did he say he knew about it. I have a very hard time believing there is not a service bulletin or something from Massey Ferguson about this. Next I am going to contact Massey Ferguson directly. Will keep you informed.

And now for more negativity. We bought a new 1999 Suburban diesel, or more exactly my mother in law payed for it, she has since passed away. This Suburban was a lemon from day one, the ignition switch one of them, would die in the most embarrassing places, Brooklyn Bridge one. Later one has learned we were driving a deathtrap with all the children these years, a recall issue. Now it just sits out back, a rust bucket.

And more, two years ago we bought a new platform M108S Kubota, four wheel drive with a Kubota loader. A wonderful tractor and has helped us through now 2 1/2 winters, feeding round bales to the beef cattle, the only thing I use the loader for, has 1400 hours on it now. Only this last fall, one front hub started to leak. We brought it to the dealer right away and it was fixed under warranty.

I wanted the other hub overhauled but was refused. Then this spring, that one went and the damage more extensive, parts of the casing had to be replaced. When it came back it was still leaking and is going back to the dealer tomorrow. Then this winter, one of the welds on the loader broke, by the pivot pin on the left arm. Luckily it was not under heavy load when it went, I had almost put the bale into the feeder when it went and nothing got badly bent. It was obvious the weld had not taken, no penetration on the pivot part where the pin goes thru as if the weld had been glued on to the metal, no break on the other side of the weld to the arm. The dealer agreed with me but the bill is still outstanding for $400, the dealer still working on it with Kubota.

I assume this weld was done by a robot and some adjustment not right, worry about the other welds on this loader. Worry than if another weld goes under load, the loader will turn into a heap of bent steel and all warranties expired.

So I have started to try to work with the dealer to have Kubota take this tractor back and sell me another one, without me loosing too much money, I am ready to take a loss, but they should help in my opinion.

About the hubs, my bales are 4x5 feet, dense out of a New Holland silage baler but this tractor should be able to handle them easily and it does, except for these issues. When I bought it new with the loader installed, the dealer asked me how wide I wanted the tires. I said as wide as possible for stability and being able to clear the hay when I am haying, not knowing this was an issue. Now I see I should have thought about this, the further out they are, the more uneven the load on the hub bearings. but the dealer put the wheels out this way, not me. Will keep you informed, right now I feel these issues are going to put us out of businesses. The sun is shining though.

I have pictures of this weld and might put them in here later, we will see.

Well hope as long there is life they say. I bought a shop manual with this 390T. In that one, the range unit is not shown very well. I found a another shop manual on the net and downloaded it.

In that one they show a bolt on top of the unit, a spring under that bolt or plug and then a plunger coming down on the range selector. Looks like if that spring is broken, I would have this problem. If so maybe it does not have to be split, will talk to the shop in the morning. Well maybe the moral should be, do not believe everything you read on the net. We will see, keep you informed.

Been working on this problem for some days now. Turned out this spring under the bolt on top of the range unit was fine, so it has to be as described in the British forum. I talked to my machine dealer and the outcome probably I am going to have them do the job. I also went and talked to the local Massey dealer. He said he would talk to Massey but I had the feeling no help was coming. He wanted to sell me a new tractor and showed me one. I am not about to trade these tractors in for nothing and buy an Asian made tractor with a Massey Ferguson paint and logo stuck on it, I have never heard the name Iseka.

My conclusion, I should quit farming, doesn't make any sense to keep on going, big buissness is going to do us all in. There is no Massey Ferguson no more, just a name used by a huge world wide company, slapping this proud name on products all over the world. Well this is the new world order we all wanted.

Last edited:
Seems like the local Massey Ferguson dealer has no interest in helping me find out if this is an issue with these tractors, keeps on saying he wants it in his shop so he can look at it. The only thing I want, is a declaration from Massey Ferguson if this is an issue with this specific serial number and if so, if they are going to help in anyway or if they have in the past.

I will do my out most to get this information, go as high up the chain in the company as I can. The Better Business Bureo even to be involved. The thing is I bought this tractor new and 15 years on a machine like that is not that old, only 3000 hours makes it even younger. The only reason it doesn't look like new is because Massey Ferguson somehow messed up the paint job, the paint flaking of the hood.

At least they should have a service bulletin and how many hours shop work this is supposed to take. No information does not fly my book. I will rather direct the business to my localmachine dealer if Massey does not want to help in anyway. They used to be a Massey dealer and know Massey tractors.

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #7  
The size and models of tractors you are dealing with are not Iseki.

No right, but the new tractor the dealer showed us was an Iseki tractor with a Massey Ferguson logo and paint on it. A three cylinder job up to 100 HP. With a platform, loader, four wheel drive and the biggest tires it takes on the front it was over $50.000. They would take the two 390T's for trade, $10.000 a piece, minus the repair cost. I see in Europe they are going for much more, made in Britain, they only have 3000 hours on them for crying out silently.

Somewhere on the label it said China, me and my wife could not figure out what that meant, if China owns Agco, the United States or what? Agco of course in Georgia US, or is it?

Anyway, if parts of this NEW ISEKA tractor are made in China, for Iseki in Japan, for Massey Ferguson, for Agco in Georgia US, we are in real trouble, China confiscating Japanese ships and they butting into each other on the high seas.

The latest news, I just called Massey Ferguson. The lady in Minnesota told me this had been upgraded to service issue and I should wait a couple of days. I will and if they treat me right, I will most surly call it from the rooftops.

Last edited:
Now a day later I am thinking about calling AGCO head quarters, found their phone number. I cant wait for days for Massey Ferguson to maybe get back to me. This tractor has to be fixed and very likely they are not going to take part in the repair.

I have been trying now for days to get feedback from AGCO, anything, servive bulletin or denial there is this problem with these tractors, no luck. I get to talk to different people in the Purgatory of their phone system, everybody promising they will get back to me but nothing yet.

Now the plan is, to bring the tractor to my equipment dealer I trust and have this fixed first thing Monday, but record the repair with pictures, ACGO is going to have to answer to this one way or another.

I have been discussing this on an Icelandic forum. Some of you might have guessed I was not born in Brooklyn. Somebody wrote this story in and I will translate, but first in Icelandic. As you probably know geothermal energy is big in Iceland, they get turbines from Japan and but them on top of holes drilled into the ground, the steam making electricty. Mitsubishi one of the companies selling the turbines.

Frændi minn átti þennan fína Pajero, bílinn var bæði nýlegur og lítið ekinn þegar fór í honum gírkassi.
Hekla var boðin og búinn til aðstoða gegn því að fá ófáa hundraðþúsunkalla fyrir verkstæðiskostnaðinn og var þetta þó fyrir allmörgum árum.
Frændinn komst loks á snoðir um að það væri háttsettur framkvæmdastrjóri frá mitsubishi á landinu, sat um hann og bauð sér á hans fund og bað um að fá það skriflegt að þetta væri ekki meira af jeppanum að búast en að þurfa að gera við hann fyrir smábílaverð rétt tilkeyrðan.
Veit ekki hvernig maður segir gefið honum nýjan gírkassa á japönsku, en sú varð allavegana raunin.

My uncle had this fine Pajero SUV. When it was almost new, the transmission went. The dealership Hekla was willing to help for the price of almost a new car. My uncle found out a high up CO was in the country from Mitsubishi. So he found out where he was (not difficult in Iceland where everybody is family) and pesterd him to give him in writing nothing else was wrong with car. My uncle does not know how to say in Japanese "let him have another transmission", but that what he said.

I will keep you informed and put in pictures.