4wd level did not want to go to 2wd.

/ 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd. #1  

Gofast

Gold Member
Tractor
2016 MF GC 1710, Belarus 300
Today my 4wd lever would not go back to 2wd. I tried moving the tractor in reverse the forward stopped and the lever still would not move.
I tried later and it finally went to 2wd. Is there a trick to getting to move back to 2wd?

I took the mower arms off. I don't like them hanging down and I am not getting a belly mower.
I am sure others have done the same.

Last edited:
   / 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd.
I did and tried it off the tractor looking at the lever under the wheel well to see if maybe a stick or something was keeping it from moving. There was nothing interfering with it.
I have moved it in and out 4wd before and it worked fine but this time it did not want to budge.

/ 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd. #4  
Unless there's something else going on, it's most likely this: When there's any tension --at all-- on the 4WD system, that lever won't move.

What I do: It seems to always work best if I go forward just a bit in 4WD, then gently begin to back up --while holding pressure on the 4WD lever rearward (toward 2WD). Only when the tension on the system gets neutralized will it pull back into 2WD. When that perfect position is found, the lever will slip back into 2WD easily.

There have been times when I've had to go back into forward --and maybe even back up again-- to hit that sweet spot, but usually it'll work best while going from forward to reverse. (Obviously, this should be done while the wheels are pointed straight ahead, not turned.)

Keep in mind that these tractors are designed to have a "lead," that is, when in 4WD the front wheels are designed to travel about 10% FASTER than the rears (supposedly to aid in steering) -- so if you're on any kind of a dry, solid surface, there WILL be tension in the 4WD drive system. In other words, it's designed to constantly slip either the fronts or the rears... on a limited-traction surface. Do NOT run in 4WD on a solid, high-traction surface.

/ 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd. #5  
If your 4WD tractor is fitted with a front end loader, raise the front wheels with the loader and then shift out of 4WD.

/ 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd. #6  
If your 4WD tractor is fitted with a front end loader, raise the front wheels with the loader and then shift out of 4WD.

The above technique works every time my lever would not easily slide out of 4WD.. If you don't have a loader. put it in reverse and drive zig/zag as you lightly pull or push the lever into 2WD.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
I have a 1710 so I do have a FEL.

/ 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd. #8  
Turning the front wheels slow lock to lock left to right will do it, too. It happens because there is tension applied from one of the front tires being 'wound up' and the front driveshaft and binding the gear that shifts it into/out of 4WD. That is why the lift the front end with the loader also works. Just bound up... :)

/ 4wd level did not want to go to 2wd. #9  
Today my 4wd lever would not go back to 2wd. I tried moving the tractor in reverse the forward stopped and the lever still would not move.
I tried later and it finally went to 2wd. Is there a trick to getting to move back to 2wd?

I took the mower arms off. I don't like them hanging down and I am not getting a belly mower.
I am sure others have done the same.
Mine will do this from time to time, I usually go gently back and forth from neutral to low and go reverse and forward a little until it will disengage.

I ran it today and when in and out 4WD a few times it worked great.

I asked the guy I bought the tractor from if he had the tires filled for extra weight. He said no.
I priced having it done and they told me how I could do it myself.

A couple days ago I added air to the tires they are all filled already.
The dealer must have done it for them. One less thing to do.