1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #1  

ddisp1

Tractor
Ford 1510
I have an issue with the right brake on this 1000+ hour tractor. The pedal bottoms out with very little resistance.

Linkages from the pedal to brake housing are intact. I don't have the service manual, but do have the parts manual. I can't tell from picture if brakes are wet or dry. I just changed hydraulic oil and hoping not to have to drain it.

Any guesses about the possible causes would be appreciated.

I've owned this tractor since it was brand new ($5,600 in 1986) and am kind of partial to it. :) I'm on my second wife (hope I can keep #2 :) ), but my first tractor...

Thanks
David

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #2  
I have an issue with the right brake on this 1000+ hour tractor. The pedal bottoms out with very little resistance.

Linkages from the pedal to brake housing are intact. I don't have the service manual, but do have the parts manual. I can't tell from picture if brakes are wet or dry. I just changed hydraulic oil and hoping not to have to drain it.

Any guesses about the possible causes would be appreciated.

I've owned this tractor since it was brand new ($5,600 in 1986) and am kind of partial to it. :) I'm on my second wife (hope I can keep #2 :) ), but my first tractor...

Thanks
David

David,

brake in your 1510 is of dry type. I added a pdf that shows the components. You need not drain the oil in order to have access to the shoes and internal inspection of component. My guess is that you have a broken spring# 26. Once you free the linkages, cover plate #28 can be removed to afford you access. Bill has done the same type of work on his 1900 adding new pads to the old shoes. He'll probably chime in with his experience.

JC,

Attachments

• 1510 brake.pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 807
   / 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question
Jc,

That's great news. I've been wanting to tackle this myself, and from what you've said, I think that I can handle it. I'll give it a try and post the results.

David

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #4  
Jc,

That's great news. I've been wanting to tackle this myself, and from what you've said, I think that I can handle it. I'll give it a try and post the results.

David

David,

you might take a look at the thread below. it might help you. I have looked at mine in the past and I know I can pull it apart. I know you'll have a lot more room if you support the axle on a jack stand and remove one tire at a time. You'll have plenty of access. I hope Bill chimes in soon.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/157649-relining-brakes-1900-a.html

Thx, JC.
Interesting thread... I never would have imagined you could make your own brake shoes! I'll give the repair a try soon (minus the homemade brake shoes :) )

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #6  
I had done this a few times too. Check one of my Photo albums under my facbook page TooManyToys.

If you don't have facebook, copy this into google: facebook toomanytoys

Very impressive JFS, but looks like "JustTheRightNumberOfToys"... :)

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #8  
You haven't seen the garage, barn, or office. My wife has.

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #9  
isn't it that the tractor and the regular vehicles has the same structure? so i can refer in some ford repair question guides in the brake repair? is it a good idea?

/ 1986 Ford NH 1510 Brake repair question #10  
isn't it that the tractor and the regular vehicles has the same structure? so i can refer in some ford repair question guides in the brake repair? is it a good idea?

can you clarify a bit more? There are similarities in concept about tractor and passenger cars but major differences too. Most basic tractors have totallt mechanical linkage system to activate brake rather than mainly hydraulic system in cars. You will not be able to find disk brake on tractor as far as I know and have seen. Shoe and brake liner are pretty comparable in both.

JC,