Ford 2600 - starting issues

/ Ford 2600 - starting issues #1  

AeroAgg06

Tractor
1979 Ford 2600
I'm going to start off by saying i have a basic mechanical understanding, but assume most people here know a lot more than me

I have been having issues starting my 1979 Ford 2600 gas tractor. The days when it will actually start, it runs and sounds very good, but the last few times i haven't been able to get it to even try to fire

The starter seems to be turning the engine well. The fuel is being pumped and eventually starts either overflowing or leaking from the carb.

I am assuming this is a spark issue but also considering the carb as well. What are your thoughts?

Like i said, if it starts, it runs really well at both idle and operating RPM; under power and no-power conditions.

thanks

/ Ford 2600 - starting issues #2  
i have 1 also. good tractor. when it would quit running i would put new plugs points and condenser in it. new plug wires would be good also.

/ Ford 2600 - starting issues #3  
Spark maybe, easiest to check & repair...
Carb definitely.. fuel isn't supposed to flow OUT of it.. {bad float, misadjusted float or sticking/stuck needle.}

/ Ford 2600 - starting issues
Thanks for the tips. I have a guy that drives about 75 miles to come work on it when needed and want to have all the parts there so a second trip isn't need

So far sounds like carb, plugs, wires, condenser and points.

Wouldn't worry about the distributor/cap?

And as far as the carb is concerned, while it is leaking, it is just enough for a drip at least. Definitely seems to need addressing though

/ Ford 2600 - starting issues #5  
AND cap. BE VERY cautious if buying aftermarket stuff.. caps are KNOWN to be bad right outta the box.. points too..
A LOT of people just doing tune-ups on a RUNNING Ford tractor end up putting the old cap back on to make it run again..
AND they had to "file" the points.. maybe some kinda "protection" they put on them for storage/shelf life.?
IF its possible get OEM points & cap..

/ Ford 2600 - starting issues #6  
i always like to use a cap with copper terminals on the inside. seems like they hold up better. the carb can leak some if it floods from not starting. plugs wet with gas will not start until cleaned and dry. put some carb cleaner in fuel tank and take air breather off and squirt some carb cleaner into the carb when you get it to run.