Water in the Transmission Oil

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #1  

OrangeAgain

Silver Member
Tractor
2015 Kioti RX7320PC, 1983 Kubota L275 4WD, 1981 John Deere 2440 2WD row crop tractor
I recently had my 1980-1981 John Deere 2440 delivered to my mechanic for a repair. The tractor came with a farm we bought last summer. As soon as we closed I had the tractor moved into the barn. It had previously been stored outside.

My mechanic, very experienced and I believe honest, noticed that the two shifting lever boots were cracked and didn't prevent water (rain) from going into the transmission oil. He said this is quite serious and requires a major repair to dismantle the transmission housing, replace seals and maybe parts.

I have no idea how long the shifting levers boots have been allowing water in. The tractor has only 1970 hours and hasn't really been used for farming for several years.

I will be visiting my mechanic soon and having an in-depth conversation about the repair, how much it might cost, the value of the tractor if sold "as is" and its value to me or for sale, if I have it fixed.

I would appreciate any advice to help me decide.

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #2  
I would be a lot less worried about leaking boots if you are storing it inside. We used to keep our TO-30 outside and invariably water would get in the tranny, probably through the dipstick, but since we moved it underneath the carport, it hasn't been a problem.

/ Water in the Transmission Oil
My mechanic says water is already in the transmission oil from years of being outside. He says the water and transmission oil together deteriorate the seals / gaskets in the transmission.

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #4  
Water can deteriorate brake pads and possibly wet clutch disc linings(if it has those options) but I've never seen or heard of water deteriorating o-rings and gaskets. If it was my tractor I'd change the hyd oil and filter a couple of times then I check tractor operating hyd's. IMHO as a former JD dealer service manager of over 10 yrs I think worse scenario tractor might need brake pads replaced. I think tractor if it operates correctly should be worth at least $8K

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #5  
I too would just drain the oil, and change the filter. Dont rush the drain job like you would an oil change on your car. Even letting it sit overnight with the plug out will help. No point in spending several thousand on a repair that may not be needed, and for a tractor only worth 7-8k.

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #6  
Water in the oil can corrode the moving steel surfaces that the seals contact.
This will abrade and eventually wear out the rubber seals.
So the water can affect the seals, but indirectly.
Still, a seal that doesn't, isn't.

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #7  
I'd just change the oil, run it, and see what happens. I put a plywood rip over my operating station. It covers my fuel filler, all controls, and seat. Works great. Most times I'll also put a small tarp over that and tie it down at the corners.

/ Water in the Transmission Oil
I am inclined to accept the most frequent recommendation that the transmission oil & filter be changed and see how the tractor's transmission and hydraulics behave.

How do I assess the transmission and hydraulics?

/ Water in the Transmission Oil #9  
Check/clean sump screen(parts key 15) while you have hyd drained

Attachments

• R34071_________UN01JAN94.gif
    R34071_________UN01JAN94.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 269