Bleeding Ford 6000 diesel

/ Bleeding Ford 6000 diesel #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
I'm having a problem with my Ford 6000 Diesel after replacing the fuel delivery hose.

I installed a remote starter switch to allow the engine to be cranked from the pump side (can''t reach the starter in the cab) and have managed to get some air out of the system - mainly at the number 6 injector BUT no fuel is coming out of the main (pump) bleed screw and the separator bowl is only half full so there must be an air-lock somewhere - probably in the pump. The attached picture is an exploded view of the pump on this model but I can't see any bleed screws. The IT manual refers to a filter for several different models but I can't find one on this tractor

Also, there is a "push-in" pin above the govenor arm and in the past, the engine would not fire unless this device was pushed in and locked. Now the pin will not lock in. Please see picture

Any ideas welcome - also does anyone know where a pump seal/diaphragm kit could be obtained please

Alan

Attachments

• fuel_pump_schematic.jpg
    fuel_pump_schematic.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 2,804
  • fuel_system_tagged (600 x 450).jpg
    fuel_system_tagged (600 x 450).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,479
   / Bleeding Ford 6000 diesel #2  
The fuel pump the manual is referring to is the injection pump. On the injection pump below the injection lines is a bleed screw. #6 in diagram

ForumRunner_20150620_062114.png
Your primer pump is what you pictured. It should have a hand lever on it, but if it doesn't, remote starter cranking method is fine for bleeding.
The button you talk about is an overfuelling or cold start button. It will not work until the pump is primed.

/ Bleeding Ford 6000 diesel
Now fixed thank you. It was just a matter of persistence. Bleeding at the injectors produced most of the air bubbles and then the fuel was present at the main bleed screw. After starting and stopping a few times with repeated bleeding at various points, the beast is now running well.