clearing trees and roots with a grapple

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #1  

Lowcountry Rebel

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 603
I have probably 20 acres of overgrown cutover that I want to clear, lots of brush and smaller trees less than 4" diameter.
I would like to push over, pull out and root rake clean with my 4x4 tractor(60 hp) and was wondering how good a short lower tine grapple rake would remove the roots. Trying to completely remove so it won't re-grow. These areas will be plowed and planted.
The larger trees will get pulled up with my excavator with hydraulic thumb.

Good idea? Input is welcomed.

Lowcountry SC- dirt with no rocks

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #2  
i suggest hiring it out. even a 3" diameter tree can be a bear to remove roots, etc with a FEL. hard on equip, too much time. maybe a high priced grapple.
i'd hire, do it once, then it's done

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #3  
Any chance of renting a dozer?

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple
Any chance of renting a dozer?

I have pond guy coming to clear and dig a 10 acre pond- probably get him to clear/rake it also- just trying to do it myself if possible a few acres at a time

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #5  
You have all the equipment to clear the lot your self and your cosidering hireing out? Why even own a tractor then.

Personaly i would use the mini with a thumb. Start in small sections cutting the bigger trees down to about waist high. Then use the mini to pull the stums out. Pile everything to burn. Then come back in with the tractor for the brush. It may take you a while but you will be a better operator and save thosands in the process.

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #6  
I have 20 acres of overgrown cutover that I want to clear, lots of brush and smaller trees less than 4" diameter.

Have the excavator pull all the trees you do not want. It will not take much more time as otherwise the excavator will be working around some trees, removing others. Simpler just to remove all the trees you do not want. Tag all the trees you want out with fluorescent stretch tape you buy at a hardware store.

Taking out 3" trees is not a good job for a tractor neophyte. High probability of rolling the tractor or injuring yourself. A wheeled vehicle is much less stable than a tracked vehicle. After 300 engine hours tractor experience OK.

An excavator is the right tool.

Last edited:
   / clearing trees and roots with a grapple #7  
I have probably 20 acres of overgrown cutover that I want to clear. Lowcountry SC- dirt with no rocks.

I would like to root rake clean with my 4x4 tractor(60 hp) and was wondering how good a short lower tine grapple rake would remove the roots. Trying to completely remove so it won't re-grow. These areas will be plowed and planted.

Loaders are not designed to push. Rake from the Three Point Hitch. I use a spring-protected Field Cultivator, also known as an All Purpose Plow. You can rake out a lot of roots and corms but you will never get your land 100% clean.

No surprise: Moist soil essential.

A multi-tine subsoiler is another possibility but it is hard to beat automatic spring protection on a Field Cultivator.

After you rake, let some time pass then spray sprouts with Crossbow, Rural King's Crossroad (exactly the same formula) or Gordon's Brush Killer. All three are enhanced 2.4-D based herbicides. Bathe and change clothes after application.

ARCHIVE LINK: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

VIDEO: tractor field cultivator - YouTube

VENDER: Fred Cain 9 Shank 3 Point Field Cultivator

Attachments

• DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 159
  • DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
   / clearing trees and roots with a grapple #8  
I guess I must have missed the part about you having an excavator.. Use that to pull your stumps and hopefully most of the roots with come out with them.. It's going to take a while but you can get it done with both machines..

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #9  
I have probably 20 acres of overgrown cutover that I want to clear, lots of brush and smaller trees less than 4" diameter.
I would like to push over, pull out and root rake clean with my 4x4 tractor(60 hp) and was wondering how good a short lower tine grapple rake would remove the roots. Trying to completely remove so it won't re-grow. These areas will be plowed and planted.

Good idea? Input is welcomed.

Lowcountry SC- dirt with no rocks

Build or buy a root ripper/scarifier in addition to the grapple. I like a ripper to cut, then use the grapple to “sift” the dirt and remove the trash. Ready to disc (with roller basket) and reseed.

Couple of places make them Everything attachments, land pride, etc.....or LD1 and a couple others made up some pretty nice ones. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/346775-3ph-root-ripper-build.html.

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #10  
I don't know how big your excavator is but anything 10,000 lbs machine will be very productive to in removing overgrowth like this in the 3-4" range. I would start walking the machine through plucking the bigger stuff you want to remove and clearing paths then IF you have a root grapple go in with the tractor and pick it up and transport it to your burn area. You will be surprised how much you can get done in a short time doing this and if you have a blade on the back of your tractor starting pushing stuff around. Eventually you have it cleared and opened with several small burn piles.