Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue?

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #1  

ForumJunkie

Tractor
Toro Timecutter
Toro Timecutter SS4225

Tractor did not start one month ago. I used starter fluid and then mowed my lawn. Today, again, tractor would not start. So, I took off the air cleaner and spritzed some starter fluid and the tractor fired right up. Let it run for a few mins, so it's not a clogged carb. I turned it on/off twice more and it started fine. But, I am not sure it will start the next time I use it.

I wonder if it's a fuel pump or vacuum issue. I will need to investigate. What can be the issue?
I do not think the problem is solved since this is the 2nd no start incident.

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue?
Why does starter fluid cure my no start?

Toro Timecutter SS4225

Tractor did not start one month ago. I used starter fluid and then mowed my lawn. Today, again, tractor would not start. So, I took off the air cleaner and spritzed some starter fluid and the tractor fired right up. Let it run for a few mins, so it's not a clogged carb. I turned it on/off twice more and it started fine. But, I am not sure it will start the next time I use it.

I wonder if it's a fuel pump or vacuum issue. I will need to investigate. What can be the issue?

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #3  
Re: Why does starter fluid cure my no start?

Just thinking out loud. Could be weak spark too.

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #4  

Toro Timecutter SS4225

As you said, check the fuel pump and vacuum first. The either gets the engine running enough to create enough vacuum to pull fuel through the line so the engine will run on its own. You could probably do the same thing by squirting a bit of gas into the carb instead of the either.

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #5  

I always use an unlit propane torch to start a stubborn engine.

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #6  

More info is needed. How many hrs on the unit, regular service, valve adjustment? Ether doesn't " cure" problems, will mask some underlying problems.

As you said, check the fuel pump and vacuum first. The either gets the engine running enough to create enough vacuum to pull fuel through the line so the engine will run on its own. You could probably do the same thing by squirting a bit of gas into the carb instead of the either.

How do I check the fuel pump?
How do I check the vacuum?

In the meantime, why is it better to use gas and not ether as the starter fluid ?

More info is needed. How many hrs on the unit, regular service, valve adjustment? Ether doesn't " cure" problems, will mask some underlying problems.

Used one summer, so maybe like 20-30 hours total?
No service yet.

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #9  

One month ago I'd have had trouble starting a mower full of Summer blend gas in those temps.

When did you top up the tank last? You'll want Winter gas to push snow.

/ Why does starter fluid cure my no start? What is the issue? #10  

I always use an unlit propane torch to start a stubborn engine.

I’ve worked on engines all my life but never done this! Do you just give it a squirt or let the propane run continuous? I’m intrigued!