Birthday present

/ Birthday present #1  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
Maybe this post should be titled "self flagellation".

I turned 80 last week!
Today, I ordered myself a birthday/Christmas present.
A root rake grapple!
I seriously doubt that any 80 year old NEEDS a grapple!

Nothing fancy. Not expensive.
Why.....because I have wanted one for a long while, and I have many vines in trees, that I hope to tear out.
Just a 550 lb. light/standard duty 60" single lid grapple from MS attachments in Denton, NC.
Nice folks on the phone, and they do seem to have a very good reputation.

Delivery in two weeks+.
They said they are very busy!

Last edited:
   / Birthday present #2  
At 80 (I'm 72) I'm sure there are a lot of things you would like to do that your body says no to. I'm learning to use the tractor for more things than I did when I was younger.
A grapple is a fine gift you will appreciate for a long time. My retirement gift was a excavator. Using my tractor or excavator a lot more has saved me from anymore back problems.

/ Birthday present #3  
I love buying tools. Just seems so noble. You could have bought a Plether Lazyboy with heat/massage/bluetooth and four cup holders for the same amount on a BLACK FRIDAY sale. lol

/ Birthday present
I love buying tools. Just seems so noble. You could have bought a Plether Lazyboy with heat/massage/bluetooth and four cup holders for the same amount on a BLACK FRIDAY sale. lol

LOL :laughing:

/ Birthday present #6  
I have wanted one for a long while, and I have many vines in trees, that I hope to tear out.

That's a dangerous operation. Don't pull as easy as you think. I use a tree puller for this and it lifts the front end off the ground. Wear a hard hat, small & dead branches can snap off. Cut vines 4-6 weeks before pulling to hopefully weaken them before pulling.
20170824_130227.jpg

/ Birthday present #7  
Maybe this post should be titled "self flagellation".

I turned 80 last week!
Today, I ordered myself a birthday/Christmas present.
A root rake grapple!
I seriously doubt that any 80 year old NEEDS a grapple!

Nothing fancy. Not expensive.
Why.....because I have wanted one for a long while, and I have many vines in trees, that I hope to tear out.
Just a 550 lb. light/standard duty 60" single lid grapple from MS attachments in Newton,NC.
Nice folks on the phone, and they do seem to have a very good reputation.

Delivery in two weeks+.
They said they are very busy!

All I can say is go for it big guy (78 next month for me) :drink:

/ Birthday present #8  
Congrats on turning 80 and still being able to do tractor work.

There are some on here that are still quite active into our 80's . . . not there yet myself, close.

/ Birthday present #9  
Congratulations on the grapple. I ordered myself a new Work Sharp (Ken Onion model) knife sharpener and a meat grinder / sausage stuffer attachment for myself. I cannot believe I never had either so I felt like splurging.

On my list is another SSQA Pallet Fork attachment for the house parcel (my other forks are an hour away) and a fruit dehydrator. They may have to wait until next year.

/ Birthday present #10  
Congratulations on the grapple. I ordered myself a new Work Sharp (Ken Onion model) knife sharpener and a meat grinder / sausage stuffer attachment for myself. I cannot believe I never had either so I felt like splurging.

On my list is another SSQA Pallet Fork attachment for the house parcel (my other forks are an hour away) and a fruit dehydrator. They may have to wait until next year.

:thumbsup: . . .