Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #1  

Jewel

Tractor
1979 Ford 6600
Hello,

I was blowing snow and the PTO Shaft came off at the gearbox of the snowblower and before I could get the PTO shut off it thumped around and hit the drawbar and broke off the exposed part of the PTO shaft. I am wondering how difficult a job it is to get the broken part out of the tractor housing and the new shaft put in if I have to split the tractor?

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #2  
Hello,

I was blowing snow and the PTO Shaft came off at the gearbox of the snowblower and before I could get the PTO shut off it thumped around and hit the drawbar and broke off the exposed part of the PTO shaft. I am wondering how difficult a job it is to get the broken part out of the tractor housing and the new shaft put in if I have to split the tractor?

Go to the New Holland Forum and holler for RickB and JBrink64. They're service techs.

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #3  
so.. looking like part # 25 broke? if a single speed

E4NNN752AA SHAFT Shaft, PTO Rear Lower, 12.03", 305.56mm Lg., Start Year: 01/01/1975

or #65 in 2nd diagram if 2 speed.. and then either the 540 or 1000 shaft.

D2NNB728A SHAFT Shaft, Drive Output, 540 RPM, 11.47" Long, Start Year: 01/01/1975

D2NNB728B SHAFT Shaft, Drive Output, 1000 RPM, 11.47" Long, Start Year: 01/01/1975

Attachments

• 6600pto.gif
    6600pto.gif
    62.3 KB · Views: 14,790
  • 6600-2.gif
    6600-2.gif
    71.4 KB · Views: 8,182
   / Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #4  
is it the single or dual?

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #5  
If you are lucky enough to have the two speed PTO, remove the snapring and pull the broken shaft out; install the new one. I'll assume that you have the single speed 540 RPM PTO as most 6600's did. If you are very flexible and work in blind spots well, you can remove the three point toplink anchor bracket and rear PTO upper shaft and gear. You then MIGHT be able to change the shaft from that access. I saw a VERY good mechanic that I used to work with do it that way. Otherwise, you need to remove the RH rear wheel, RH rear axle housing, and differential carrier and ring gear to get at the front end of the broken PTO shaft.

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #6  
Hello,

Call 1-606-346-0900 and they have most after market parts for that repair job. Ken Sweet

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #7  
If you are lucky enough to have the two speed PTO, remove the snapring and pull the broken shaft out; install the new one. I'll assume that you have the single speed 540 RPM PTO as most 6600's did. If you are very flexible and work in blind spots well, you can remove the three point toplink anchor bracket and rear PTO upper shaft and gear. You then MIGHT be able to change the shaft from that access. I saw a VERY good mechanic that I used to work with do it that way. Otherwise, you need to remove the RH rear wheel, RH rear axle housing, and differential carrier and ring gear to get at the front end of the broken PTO shaft.

been meaning to ask you.. what's the word on my 7610s.. is it's pto stub swapable? I had considered a batwing with 1000 rpm setup and was looking at the swapable shafts.. can't remember the exact price but struck me near 300$.. IF I have that setup. how do I tell which I have?

thanks

soundguy

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #8  
been meaning to ask you.. what's the word on my 7610s.. is it's pto stub swapable? I had considered a batwing with 1000 rpm setup and was looking at the swapable shafts.. can't remember the exact price but struck me near 300$.. IF I have that setup. how do I tell which I have?

thanks

soundguy

7610s parts catalog lists both single- and two-speed PTOs. If it is a two speed, it will have a snap ring retaining the removable shaft in the bearing housing which is fairly obvious, along with a flat spot on the O.D. of the shaft near the snap ring. Single speed output shaft and bearing/seal retainer will be nearly identical to your 5000.

/ Broken PTO Shaft on a 1979 6600 Ford Tractor #9  
thanks, will take a look!

I like my jd 1517 batwing in 540 pto.. but every now and then the local horse farm lets a 1000 rpm one go cheap ( like 1000$ or 1200 ) when they get a new one..that's how I got my 1517.. they got all new jd batwings and sold the old ones cheap. I paid 1200$ for mine it's a 98 model.. came with 1 new gearbox to repalce a bad one. needed osme tlc and welding.. but couldn't beat the price. they had another for parts I SHOULD have bought but didn't... stupid me....

soundguy