John Deere 2950 hyd issue

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #1  

JD630

Tractor
I have been having hydraulic issues with my 2950 mfwd since i bought it. It does have a loader on it, but i loose steering, brakes, constant drip out of the svc and all hydraulics. but once i rev it up, i start to get hyd back. Also the indicator light comes on when idling when hot. I rebuilt the hyd pump this winter and put new oil and filter, and also inspected the screen. any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #2  
Does tractor have a SGB(cab)? Do hyd's operate the same with pto on & off? Do hyd's operate the same with hyd hi=lo in both speeds? With 3 pt raised engine running look in hyd filler hole for moving oil. How is FEL controlled(scv or ind valve)? Has hyd stand-by pressure been checked with a gauge? Do any hyd components fell hotter than other components? JD utility tractors of that era have a long history of trans pump lines cracking or having leaking seals.

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #3  
I'd sell it. 28/2940/50/55 and 3150/55 are just about the poorest excuse for a tractor Deere ever built. You will be chasing hydraulic issues every day you own it.

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #4  
Rick
I disagree. 2840 & 2940 are not near as reliable when referencing hyd's as 2950/55 tractors. I have no experience with 3150//55 series as non were sold new in my area. Granted JD utility tractor hyd's aren't as reliable as the 20-55 series rowcrop tractors built in Waterloo

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #5  
Local experience here is that 6 cylinder Dubuque and Mannheim tractors of that vintage were nightmares. Absolute money pits after a couple thousand hours. Guarantee the OP has some form of regulated circuit/low pressure leak that is starving the front pump. When they put the Hi-Lo or reverser in those tractors it was all downhill. There were dozens of those tractors sold in this area and only one left that i know of. only reason the guy still owns it is he can't find anyone to buy it.

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #7  
1466969169101.jpg

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #8  
Could be as simple as an open Center valve on the loader, a closed Center valve with a failed o'ring or a valve with a relief valve set under 2300psi.
Does the loader have a joystick or the troubleprone connection using the scv's and scv levers on the tractor?
You can tinker all you want on the front pump and most people do. However 98% of the time the front pump is not having oil pumped up to it from the transmiss .or there is a gross leak on the high pressure side that is using up the front pump's capacity.
If Bubba Brand oil was used in the transmission the inlet screen and filter could be clogged with ruined clutch or brake friction material. Transmission pump can't pump if it's suction side is blocked.

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue
The Hyd run the same with the pto on, and in the hi lo speed. The loader is ran off a independent valve that drains to the filter housing, which is a closed center. I checked the valve at work, and no bad orings. This tractor is does not have a cab. I did look in the filler hole for the rear end, and it was misting on the inside. Also there is a small steady stream of oil running straight in from the filler hole towards the top.

/ John Deere 2950 hyd issue #10  
I had the same issue with my JD 2940 with a loader. I did everything that you are doing. Worked on the tractor for days. I gave up trying to find a fix and called the dealer. I know you don't want to hear that but??? The JD Dealer found a bad o ring some place in the rock shaft.