RFM Restoration

/ RFM Restoration #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
Last Fall I picked up a well-used Caroni TC910 for $600. It was ugly all over but had a good solid main deck. The baffles were in rough shape and needed to be replaced. The wheels and all the supports were still in good shape. There's no inside space that's safe to weld in at home and I thought I could get it finished before Winter set in so the project was done in the driveway. By the time all the bad metal was replaced with good metal, the season changed. Rather than haul it to the shop at work, the pieces were put on a pile till Spring.

On the front lower edge of the deck there was a thin-walled pipe that wrapped part way around the sides. It was broken in several places. I suppose this is for a rub strip and some added strength. For a replacement I used solid 5/8" round stock. This was the most challenging part of the restoration, and that was partly because I wanted to make it in one piece. The first "lazy S" bend was fairly difficult. Getting the other half of the bar bent so it fit was almost more than I could handle.

The factory anti-scalp bumper on the front center was replaced with a slice of Sch80 steel pipe.

The deck wasn't originally equipped with the extended grease zerks for the blade spindles. They were cheap and they'll make life nicer.

The baffle replacements are made from a heavy gauge black diamondplate. There was some scrap at the shop, so the sheet metal shop's participation in the project was to shear a few 4" wide slices and run them through the pinch roller to make them into circles (with the smooth side in). I was able to slice off segments and weld them onto the underside of the deck.

Only a handful of bearings needed to be replaced - one set for one idler sheave plus the bearings in all 4 wheels. One wheel in particular had a bad set and another was questionable.

As the weather warmed I started final cleanup for paint. First was a good cleaning of the underside and two coats of POR15. Then after 11 rainy Fridays, I did give up and took the pieces to the shop for painting there. Although I took my gun along, one of the guys really wanted to spray it. I caved. Paint was Allis Chalmers Orange XO Rust with XO Rust hardener, thinned with acetone for spraying.

Last Friday I brought the pieces home for reassembly. By late afternoon Saturday, it was ready for its maiden voyage. Had to be elsewhere, so it only saw about 45 minutes of use. It did a nice job, and the only hiccup was when I swung it and whacked the raised blacktop and bent one of the stems on a wheel fork. That's another story though. Straightened it Monday evening and did some more mowing, and Tuesday night mowed the part of the yard that was under water early Monday AM. Looking forward to having an hour or so of uninterrupted time instead of little segments that were available since late last week.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 141
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 118
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 110
  • B3.JPG
    B3.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 110
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 158
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 128
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 125
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 133
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 135
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 129
   / RFM Restoration #2  
Nice job chim!:thumbsup:

Having followed some of your previous posts & projects, I would expect nothing less from you. I still wish you were my neighbor! :laughing:

/ RFM Restoration
Re: Another RFM Restoration

Being held hostage at home by the CV19 declaration made by the governor, there are a lot of projects that I have in mind that can finally be done. Time to start another Caroni refurb. Found a 5 footer last Summer and it's been sitting there waiting to get some attention. It's the same model as our first Caroni that was new in 1991 or so and served on the Ford 1210 since then. That original 5' deck has been used really hard and is pretty well spent. Especially since it was the ugly sister after going through various Kubotae with bigger decks since '02. We now have (barely) enough inside storage for both tractors and the important equipment. This deck will be a backup and the side discharge does come in handy for blowing leaves sometimes.

These two 5' decks and the TC910 I fixed up last year share many of the same parts. Looks like there will be 3 spindles, 4 wheel yokes, a gear box, assorted sheaves and steel hitch parts for spares. The first order of business was to completely disassemble the two 5' decks and harvest the good serviceable parts. Here's the "new" mower during the process.

The deck stamping has some problems. There are a few cracks and patches. In general, it is in OK shape for an old piece of equipment and it looks like it'll be fun to fix up. Fortunately, there was some leftover bent baffle material from the previous project and there should be enough scrap material around for rest of the job. One of the decisions will be what color to paint it. Since the big deck was painted to match the Kubota, it's tempting to do the 5' deck to match the Ford. The Ford needs a repaint as well. Unfortunately it spent a few years outside since the 2002 refurb.

Before this CV19 breakout, a few of us at/near/past retirement age had some discussions concerning when we'd quit the rat race. Yesterday a buddy and co-worker said this imposed moratorium on going to work felt like retirement - and he liked that feeling. I'm starting to share that view.

Stay home and stay safe!

Attachments

• IMG_7140.jpg
    IMG_7140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
   / RFM Restoration
^^^ Heck, I'm impressed with those sawhorses!

SawClydesdales? SawPercherons?

Those sawhorses were a necessary build for that project last year with the bigger mower. They are quite strong. Some of the screws were worth it a bit expensive, but worth it. The 5' deck is much lighter. I can flip the stripped deck over by myself. The design came from the video below that was sent via a trade publication. In the late part of the video they are being tested at a lumber yard and hold nearly 16,000#:

apprentice sawhorses - Bing video

/ RFM Restoration #6  
I built some of those sawhorses a couple years ago after seeing them on Maine Cabin Masters (TV show), and Dixie (one of the carpenters) demonstrating how to build them.

Easy, cheap, and strong!

/ RFM Restoration #7  
I built some of those sawhorses a couple years ago after seeing them on Maine Cabin Masters (TV show), and Dixie (one of the carpenters) demonstrating how to build them.

Easy, cheap, and strong!

YUP.....that is where I saw them too....Maine Cabin Masters.
Very easy to build, and very strong!

/ RFM Restoration #8  
YUP.....that is where I saw them too....Maine Cabin Masters.
Very easy to build, and very strong!

lol.... I love that show! Makes me want to get some old dilapidated cabin on a lake up there and have them renovate it!