Where to buy a gear?

/ Where to buy a gear? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Short story: I have a speed increaser. It mounts to my 540 PTO shaft and multiplies it 4x to power a hydraulic mower.

Though it works, there is some wear on the shaft so I'm looking to replace a couple specific parts BUT, the manufacturer (Alamo-Industrial / Terrain King) no longer supports it nor stocks any old parts.

I'm guessing they weren't the actual manufacturer.... so it's possible that SOMEONE might still make something like this or stock it.

Question is (if that's true) who & where. So if my attachment works, you will see a schematic for what I'm referring to HOWEVER, this is not a schematic for my exact unit. Still.... you will see what I'm trying to describe verses me butchering a keyboard trying to describe it.

I'm looking for part # 24 which gets driven by the 540 shaft, is inserted into the large gear (26) and drives the gear. This ensemble drives the smaller gear (27) and because of the reduction you have a 4:1 multiplication factor. The hydraulic pump attaches to the output of #27 so I'd be happy replacing that one too.

If you call one of the dealers for Terrain King, these parts are no longer available. That might be true and I'm simply out of luck. However, since I doubt that Terrain King or Alamo are/were in the actual business of manufacturing these increasers, I'm willing to put some energy into the presumption that the company that DID make these might still be able to support them, just not through Alamo/Terrain King.

So the question is, where/how do you look for and find a "gear dealer" that might have specialty gears like #24??

Attachments

• Increaser.pdf
    261.9 KB · Views: 92
   / Where to buy a gear? #3  
there are companies that will repair or make gears for you too.

/ Where to buy a gear? #4  
Are parts #25 keys? Keyways can be repaired. (welded up if need be, and/or re-machined)

Bearing bosses at both ends of #24 can be reground and new bearings fitted if ovaled, etc.

Be sure bearing bores in alum cases aren't whomped out.

They too can be refinished/rebored to size or next o'size. (welded up if need be, and/or re-machined).

/ Where to buy a gear? #5  
Any machine shop can make you a copy of yours

/ Where to buy a gear? #6  
I did a quick Google search for the model number of the speed changer,and found a PDF parts/price list from Messicks. Alamo A-Boom (1-2) Parts Diagrams Those look to be some pretty pricey parts, somaybe finding a machine shop to refurbish the one's you have, can put things in perspective.

/ Where to buy a gear? #7  
All States Ag. Parts has new and used, nationwide coverage.

/ Where to buy a gear? #8  
The replacement gear box on my ALAMO wing mower was around six grand many years ago. I would try and find some GENERIC gearbox. If you don't care what it costs, sure, a good machine shop can make you just about anything. But if they make you one new gear, there is no point meshing that with an old one.

/ Where to buy a gear? #9  
The replacement gear box on my ALAMO wing mower was around six grand many years ago. I would try and find some GENERIC gearbox. If you don't care what it costs, sure, a good machine shop can make you just about anything. But if they make you one new gear, there is no point meshing that with an old one.
please explain that so other Machinists stop repairing/making gears..

/ Where to buy a gear? #10  
Not quite sure what you mean. I'm saying that the cost for a custom made gear will be high. Are you going to spec it and draw it out for them? Specify material? You don't just walk through the door and say make me one of these. And then, they are not going to guarantee it will work or fit, or last. Not in an old gearbox meshing with an old gear.