John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855

/ John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855 #1  

dannymoe13

Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
So, long story short, my father has owned an 855 since the late 80's that I grew up riding and using. I'm very comfortable with his machine and the various noises it makes. I bought a 755 this spring, I haven't used it much since but will start in the coming weeks. One thing I notice about it is that the engine is much more "tappy" sounding than my fathers 855. The tachometer is broken on the machine which I will be taking out this week, the hours read 400ish which I'm imagining it has more on it than that. I did a valve check using the JD manual, the tapping may have gotten slightly better but it is still very much there. The tapping quickens with rpm and for the most part isn't noticeable at idle. It currently has a 60" belly mower on it, with the mower engaged and at proper operating rpm it seems to bog down pretty substantially when I hit any kind of incline or take off quickly. Im used to running a 72" deck on the 855 which it handles no problem.

Does the 4hp really make that much of a difference? Do the 755 diesels sound that much different than the 855's or do I have some kind of issue going on here? I may be reading into the noise too much but wanted to see what others out there experienced with these tractors/engines. The tractor got new filters and fresh oils when I bought it. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :drink:

/ John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855
I have a video of the tractor running but someone may have to walk me through how to post a video

/ John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855 #3  
Injection timing or a bad injector can make a difference in engine noise.

/ John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855 #4  
If I remember correctly, I think the 855 and 955 have direct injection engines and the 655 and 755 are indirect injection, so there will be different sounds between those engines.

How can I verify injection timing or a bad injector? The tractor doesn't really smoke at all while using it, only under heavy load.

/ John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855 #6  
For an injector causing the noise you can loosen the line going to an injector with the tractor running and see if one is different then the others,
just be aware of the fuel leakage while doing so.
As far as the injector timing not having the service manual for your tractor I couldn't tell you,
any independent tractor mechanic or any shop should be able to check and adjust it for you if needed.
Or aquire the service manual for your engine and perform what it entails.

Does injection timing need to be checked at certain interval on old tractors or is it not that common to have to adjust it?

/ John Deere 755 Valve Noise? 755 vs 855 #8  
It's not common but it can shift.