Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #1  

Westonium

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I have a generator with a PTO shaft that is about 4 inches too long. To get it on/off the tractor is brutal, and extra problematic when you're trying to do it in bad weather. I have the plastic collars popped off the shaft covers, but I cannot see what is preventing the 2 halves from sliding all the way apart. I tried attaching one end to the tractor and yanking a bit but I don't want to damage things. It is definitely hitting something solid that prevents the two parts from coming all-the-way apart.

Surely there's a trick to this?

Edit: The two parts slide freely, but then hit...something... and won't come apart.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #2  
pull it all the way out as far as you can. If you are almost all the way just cut it enough to make it 4" shorter.

If not I would get a new shaft. Would eliminate the hard to get on and off.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #3  
The drive shaft is made to come apart for shortening.
You can always separate the drive shaft from the genset & chain that end to a water buffalo or something.
Take lots of pics of the buffalo, however.
I'd like to see that one.
Have someone hold your beer, though.:drink:

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it
The drive shaft is made to come apart for shortening.
You can always separate the drive shaft from the genset & chain that end to a water buffalo or something.
Take lots of pics of the buffalo, however.
I'd like to see that one.
Have someone hold your beer, though.:drink:

I think all the water buffalo are sold out at the farm store.

Maybe I will try 2 comealongs tied to two big walnuts.

EDIT. Trees. Walnut TREES.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #5  
I tied a nylon strap to one of mine on the post hole digger. The other end of the strap went around a tree.
The opposite end of the shaft got tied to the draw bar of the tractor.
Came right apart.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #6  
I've never had one stuck like you describe, but for seized shafts I have used PB blaster and yanked with a chain, or tapped with a maul hammer and punch.
Generally speaking, sometimes sharp taps around all edges works well if you have patience.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #7  
If it takes that amount of force to come apart - are you sure separation won't somehow damage it. Are you certain you will be able to get it back together.

Purchase an appropriately sized, new PTO shaft and be done with it.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #8  
Try extending the shaft all the way until you hit the stop. Then MANUALLY rotate one side of the shaft to see if perhaps there is a key-way built into the other side of the shaft.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #9  
Try extending the shaft all the way until you hit the stop. Then MANUALLY rotate one side of the shaft to see if perhaps there is a key-way built into the other side of the shaft.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

I was thinking more along the lines of remove the guard and see if there is a slot somewhere for a roll pin. Guard removal might require separating a u-joint.

/ Cant separate 2-spline PTO shaft in order to cut it #10  
I've never had one stuck like you describe, but for seized shafts I have used PB blaster and yanked with a chain, or tapped with a maul hammer and punch.
Generally speaking, sometimes sharp taps around all edges works well if you have patience.

PB Blaster is OK, but "Kroil" is best to solve such problems.