At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #151  
   / At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #152  
It's NOT the buying of the new tool that's the problem. It's the FINDING it, the second time you need to use it.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #153  
It's NOT the buying of the new tool that's the problem. It's the FINDING it, the second time you need to use it.

LOL, guess your shop looks like mine.

Just too many interests with all the specialty tools involved.0
I like the right tool for the job rather than vice grips and hammer.

Woodworking/construction, electricity, plumbing, then the sub trades.
I started with electronics then aviation got mixed in and now tractors.
So I weld, braze and solder.
Aviation left me with all kinds of special tools and jigs with a nice mix of air tools.

Of course being a garage sale junky does not help either nor do auctions.
But then auctions have subsidized many of my tool purchases.
Recall once winning a bid for 5 Desouter air drills and selling 4 as I left the site leaving me with a free one and profit.
Another auction got me 5 new air nail guns and Ebay earned me enough for 4 to pay for the 12 cases of framing nails plus profit as well.

Face it, I'm a tool junky with 'jack of all trade' interests.

Adding to my sources Black Decker had a liquidation center about 2 miles from home. Weekly visits paid big dividends.
Not to help is a buddy that is as bad or worst than me and we swap stuff often.
His latest 'deal' was a hydraulic auto body puller stretcher for$25.00. I have a few attachments (compact cylinder and 2 hydraulic 'C clamps') that fit that system so I'll be buying it from him. He only has a slim spreader device.

Problem is my shop is rather compact.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #154  
   / At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #155  
I'm really struggling with the decision to upgrade my cordless Ryobi tools to Dewalt 20v. The Ryobis served me well for the house I just built, but are starting to wear down. I'm building another house starting next week, and I have put together a pretty sweet Dewalt set that I would like. That way I could keep the Ryobi set at home for use there on the weekends, and use the Dewalt on the job site during the week. Maybe Amazon will have Dewalt discounts for Prime Day tomorrow.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav
I’ve bought several dewalt 20 volt pieces recently and I’ve been happy with all of them. I wish they made a mid range cordless drill. If they made something on the same weight class as the Milwaukee cordless Holehawg I’d probably buy one. They make the beast drill which was the original topic of this thread but it’s too heavy for 99 percent of drilling.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #157  
I'm really struggling with the decision to upgrade my cordless Ryobi tools to Dewalt 20v. The Ryobis served me well for the house I just built, but are starting to wear down. I'm building another house starting next week, and I have put together a pretty sweet Dewalt set that I would like. That way I could keep the Ryobi set at home for use there on the weekends, and use the Dewalt on the job site during the week. Maybe Amazon will have Dewalt discounts for Prime Day tomorrow.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ng-ToughSystem-Toolbox-DCKTS780D2M1/304958991
I bought this tool kit 2 weeks ago for construction and seems to be working well. Only complaints are the batteries. Did not last long at first but seen to have gotten better. The 4Ah one plastic molding fell apart like it disintegrated so I have to try to return it now.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #158  
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ng-ToughSystem-Toolbox-DCKTS780D2M1/304958991
I bought this tool kit 2 weeks ago for construction and seems to be working well. Only complaints are the batteries. Did not last long at first but seen to have gotten better. The 4Ah one plastic molding fell apart like it disintegrated so I have to try to return it now.
That seems to be a great price for the kit. I recently scored on a slightly damaged HF tool chest and the top fits all of my 20v Dewalts including four batteries... minus the circular saw. The bright new blue chest inspired me to clean up my dewalts with a little soapy water and they look new again.

IMG_2905.jpeg

I'm especially fond of my little impact driver and the recip saw. All are good. The articulating LED light is really nice for under car and attic work too! Highly recommend the Dewalt 20v line up.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #159  
I have a corded Milwaukee Hole Hog. I load my generator on the ATV along with the Hole Hog when I need to do heavy drilling out & about on the property. It's another one of my tools that I have great respect for. I've been "thrown" a few times while drilling deep holes with a ship's auger.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav
I have a corded Milwaukee Hole Hog. I load my generator on the ATV along with the Hole Hog when I need to do heavy drilling out & about on the property. It's another one of my tools that I have great respect for. I've been "thrown" a few times while drilling deep holes with a ship's auger.

I have the Dewalt version of that but the cordless holehawg isn’t nearly that big and heavy. It would be perfect for when a regular cordless just isn’t enough but you don’t want the hassle of a corded big drill. I unfortunately don’t have any Milwaukee batteries and to the best of my knowledge Dewalt or Makita don’t make a comparable drill.IMG_7035.JPG