It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #1  

MechanicalGuy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5200
I'm looking for a gas dually for farm use and occasional towing (tractors, excavators, skid steers, lawn mowers) around a slightly hilly 25 mile radius between several properties, the family farm, and my new house and property. I'm not impressed at all with the offerings from the big three. Let me explain.

The gassers:

Chevy 3500; 6.6l engine is quite sufficient, but mated with the 6 speed transmission, it's just not 2021 material. Also, I have stinging memories of the 8 speed issues that the 1500 series trucks were plagued with. How long have you been making trucks Chevrolet? An the new face of these trucks are so fugly, it's a waiting game for a facelift in the coming year or years.

Ford 3500; 7.3l engine is very impressive, I'm super excited about this engine, and I'm also super excited about the 10 speed endeavor that Ford has embarked on, with the 10R140, a different transmission than the GM co-developed 10 speed that they were putting in the F150, but this is still an UNPROVEN and even problematic transmission. There are FAR too many reports and videos of issues with this transmission to buy a new $50k plus truck with this transmission. I would love to buy this combo if it were solid, but it is definitely NOT imho.

Ram 3500; 6.4l engine is alright, I'm not excited about it, especially given that it is 410hp and 430tq, when the 6.4l SRT charger and Challenger are much higher 485HP and 475TQ and have very flat torque curves. Not sure why the massive detune. The torque curves look flat from 1600rpm on up. I just don't get this. And on top of that, the completely awesome, totally proven 8 speed transmission that they paired this engine with, FINALLY, apparently isn't controlled nearly as nicely as it is in all the v6 and v8 cars that have been running it for almost a decade. I've had three different Chrysler 300s cars, and they have been amazing transmissions. But according to TFL (the fast Lane) on youtube, they say that the transmission doesn't downshift with common sense and there are not paddle shifters for easy manual control on these RAM trucks. They were constantly using the brakes to hold speed when going downhill, and they had to let of the gas and then floor it to make the transmission shift when they were losing speed going uphill! Sounds like it needs a lot more tuning before I plop down $50k on a RAM.

When you look at the diesels, that is WAY more than I need, and Ford still has a 10 speed problem, Chevy has the "FUGLY" problem, and RAM has an RFE or AISIN trans problem. Neither of those are up to par with the Allison 6 speed, I'm not sure about the "Allison branded 10 speed" though. The Aisin is clunky and shifts roughly according to a lot of reports. The RFE is not up to the task with it's small friction clutch disks. It isn't worthy of a high dollar truck. Period.

So I can understand exactly why the used truck market is insane right now, and people are giving BIG BUCKS for heavily used Duramax/Allison trucks. The current big three offerings are very much lacking.

I want to be wrong, but I'm not.

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #2  
I hate the front end in the new Chevy trucks and I don’t like the body older either. I wouldn’t buy a new truck anyway but I definitely wouldn’t drive that.

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing.
I hate the front end in the new Chevy trucks and I don’t like the body older either. I wouldn’t buy a new truck anyway but I definitely wouldn’t drive that.
well if you want a truck, you're kinda limited these days. $30-45k for 200k on the ODO for the used trucks, gas OR diesel, and it makes more sense to buy new. I'm just not at all happy with the truck market now. Not on any level.

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #4  
I'm looking for a gas dually for farm use and occasional towing (tractors, excavators, skid steers, lawn mowers) around a slightly hilly 25 mile radius between several properties, the family farm, and my new house and property. I'm not impressed at all with the offerings from the big three. Let me explain.

The gassers:

Chevy 3500; 6.6l engine is quite sufficient, but mated with the 6 speed transmission, it's just not 2021 material. Also, I have stinging memories of the 8 speed issues that the 1500 series trucks were plagued with. How long have you been making trucks Chevrolet? An the new face of these trucks are so fugly, it's a waiting game for a facelift in the coming year or years.

Ford 3500; 7.3l engine is very impressive, I'm super excited about this engine, and I'm also super excited about the 10 speed endeavor that Ford has embarked on, with the 10R140, a different transmission than the GM co-developed 10 speed that they were putting in the F150, but this is still an UNPROVEN and even problematic transmission. There are FAR too many reports and videos of issues with this transmission to buy a new $50k plus truck with this transmission. I would love to buy this combo if it were solid, but it is definitely NOT imho.

Ram 3500; 6.4l engine is alright, I'm not excited about it, especially given that it is 410hp and 430tq, when the 6.4l SRT charger and Challenger are much higher 485HP and 475TQ and have very flat torque curves. Not sure why the massive detune. The torque curves look flat from 1600rpm on up. I just don't get this. And on top of that, the completely awesome, totally proven 8 speed transmission that they paired this engine with, FINALLY, apparently isn't controlled nearly as nicely as it is in all the v6 and v8 cars that have been running it for almost a decade. I've had three different Chrysler 300s cars, and they have been amazing transmissions. But according to TFL (the fast Lane) on youtube, they say that the transmission doesn't downshift with common sense and there are not paddle shifters for easy manual control on these RAM trucks. They were constantly using the brakes to hold speed when going downhill, and they had to let of the gas and then floor it to make the transmission shift when they were losing speed going uphill! Sounds like it needs a lot more tuning before I plop down $50k on a RAM.

When you look at the diesels, that is WAY more than I need, and Ford still has a 10 speed problem, Chevy has the "FUGLY" problem, and RAM has an RFE or AISIN trans problem. Neither of those are up to par with the Allison 6 speed, I'm not sure about the "Allison branded 10 speed" though. The Aisin is clunky and shifts roughly according to a lot of reports. The RFE is not up to the task with it's small friction clutch disks. It isn't worthy of a high dollar truck. Period.

So I can understand exactly why the used truck market is insane right now, and people are giving BIG BUCKS for heavily used Duramax/Allison trucks. The current big three offerings are very much lacking.

Uhhhh I don’t know where you get your info from, but the Aisin transmission is all the trans the allison is, and maybe more.
Mine has manual shift feature.
No problem grossing 43,000lbs across the scale whatsoever.
It could do 50,000 in a pinch.
As of 2021, Ram had the highest GCWR of 43,000 of any truck, diesel, gas, even Fords massive Ecoboost 3.5L couldnt outpull a Cummins Ram.

Last edited:
FYI regarding the Ford 10 speed;

Tow Piglet has nothing good to say about it after tens of thousands of miles on at least one truck with it, DS Trucks didn't have 10k on his and had a shifting problem that he thinks he was able to "tune" out of it with a high dollar laptop and a computer tuning geek. Both of these guys are youtubers.

numerous other claims about the 10 speed being rough shifting and even a claim that it has a bearing that is too small and it shreds up and destroys the transmission make this a wait and see how it shakes out, but it ain't looking good so far deal.

Uhhhh I don’t know where you get your info from, but the Aisin transmission is all the trans the allison is, and maybe more.
Mine has manual shift feature.
No problem grossing 46,000lbs across the scale whatsoever.
It could do 50,000 in a pinch.
the Aisin may be up to the task, but it is NOT as good as the Allison. You can feel good about yours if you want, but no one, and I mean NO ONE, has said that it is as good as the Allison.

I never said the Aisin couldn't be shifted manually.

and it isn't about "outpulling" a cummins, I want to buy an economical truck that has a solid drivetrain and I've listed out why that isn't really possible in 2021. Except for possibly a RAM gasser. But it has shortcomings as well.

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #7  

The gassers:

Here's a real world discussion of the Ford 7.3 gasser.

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #8  
i have a 2021 2500 gmc with the 6.6 gas.i occasionally pull 5 to 7000 pounds and have no problem.my opinion is that i dont need a diesel for no more pulling than i do.this is my second 6.6 gas and i have no complaints.i have owned 8 gas burners since 2013 and have not had any trouble with the motor or 6 speed transmission

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #9  
the Aisin may be up to the task, but it is NOT as good as the Allison. You can feel good about yours if you want, but no one, and I mean NO ONE, has said that it is as good as the Allison.

I never said the Aisin couldn't be shifted manually.

and it isn't about "outpulling" a cummins, I want to buy an economical truck that has a solid drivetrain and I've listed out why that isn't really possible in 2021. Except for possibly a RAM gasser. But it has shortcomings as well.
Apparently, someone said it’s actually better than the Allison.
Now, I have owned both.
How bout you?

/ It's 2021, and the big three don't offer very "great" trucks for towing. #10  
well if you want a truck, you're kinda limited these days. $30-45k for 200k on the ODO for the used trucks, gas OR diesel, and it makes more sense to buy new. I'm just not at all happy with the truck market now. Not on any level.

Which is why I bought another medium duty after I gave up trying to buy a ton truck with a duramax in it. No stupid front end, no stupid price for worn out trucks and no emissions garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.