Eight Minute Barn

/ Eight Minute Barn #1  

chip_laugal

Here is an interesting article from Farm Show Magazine about a roof and side walls that were built on the ground and lifted up in 8 minutes.
Sorry I don't know how to rotate the article.
Chip

Attachments

• roof on ground.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 222
   / Eight Minute Barn #2  
Reposting as an image so that everyone doesn't have to download a PDF:

1632765562994.png

/ Eight Minute Barn #3  
I'd think the whole point of building the roof on the ground first would be to reduce costs, but
Screenshot from 2021-09-27 12-18-02.png

no
What's the point in doing something that requires such specialized equipment when it's actually increasing the cost?

Still I like the concept. Maybe a DIY person could build their own barn this way, jack up each corner 6" at a time and gradually build a tower of 4x4's under each corner, and then build or stand up the walls underneat and attach... though IDK if the roof would get tweaked by getting lifted by corners successively.

/ Eight Minute Barn #4  
This is like some Consulting Firm targeted the Amish due to the COVID slowdown and convinced them that they could save money by NOT needing to feed everyone lunch like they do at the standard all-day barnraising.

:rolleyes:

/ Eight Minute Barn #5  
I'd think the whole point of building the roof on the ground first would be to reduce costs, but
View attachment 714897
no
What's the point in doing something that requires such specialized equipment when it's actually increasing the cost?

Still I like the concept. Maybe a DIY person could build their own barn this way, jack up each corner 6" at a time and gradually build a tower of 4x4's under each corner, and then build or stand up the walls underneat and attach... though IDK if the roof would get tweaked by getting lifted by corners successively.

Only benefit I can think of is it'd be safer to do the roof work closer to the ground? Maybe easier to find workers who can't work up high?

/ Eight Minute Barn #6  
I'd think the whole point of building the roof on the ground first would be to reduce costs, but no
It would greatly reduce injuries from falls if the roof is sitting on the ground. With medical costs these days, it could be a good savings on the back end. Also you could build on windy days without worrying about sheets flying away, or trusses swinging, then lift when the wind abates. You could get by with a Skid Steer instead of a Telehandler, this savings might pay for the fancy lifting tool. It was an interesting concept, I got to see it at the show.

/ Eight Minute Barn
I want to thank

p0diabl0 for rotating my picture.​

I posted the picture of the barn roof because they were building a house in our town with the roof built on the ground and I thought that was assume compared to a house roof. I am going to post a picture of the house roof. I saw them placing it on the framed house with a crane. Construction seems to have some new technology.

Attachments

• house roof.jpg
    house roof.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
   / Eight Minute Barn #8  
I know a barn builder in CT who builds the roof on the ground and then hires a crane to lift it onto the building. Much safer and faster that building 20-25 feet in the air.

/ Eight Minute Barn #9  
It would greatly reduce injuries from falls if the roof is sitting on the ground. With medical costs these days, it could be a good savings on the back end. Also you could build on windy days without worrying about sheets flying away, or trusses swinging, then lift when the wind abates. You could get by with a Skid Steer instead of a Telehandler, this savings might pay for the fancy lifting tool. It was an interesting concept, I got to see it at the show.
As I said I think it's a great concept but builders won't use it if it actually costs more money.

However I suspect it costs more money because they're probably charging an arm and a leg for their fancy computerized lifting system and my guess is you could do well enough with 4 guys and 4 jacks and a bunch of rented timbers to brace it every 6 inches; the concept is simple enough that it should be saving a lot of money and time (and time is money).

I should put up a pole barn this way! Hmmmm *starts concocting reasons we have to have a pole barn yesterday*

/ Eight Minute Barn #10  
Building a large roof on the ground is fairly common and usually done in sections.
Supposedly quite efficient since no railings nor safety straps are required for the workers nor long lines of air hoses to trip over.
Very often on larger projects a crane or telly loader is on site anyway.