If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #21  
I treat my dogs like they are my children. I also train them to NEVER be near the road and to not chase ANY vehicles. If one were to get hit on the road it would be 100% my fault. If my dog would disappear and get hit, I would appreciate knowing where she was so I would know as I would be hunting for her. I definitely understand why people would not do that for reasons listed above.
Many people let their dogs, cats, and kids run wild and expect other people to take responsibility for them when disaster strikes. It's the world we live in now.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #22  
As much as I love the South, we seem to have a real problem here with dogs running loose. Thank God I haven't hit one yet; have stopped and blown the horn in front of a house when their dog was running loose though. I most likely wouldn't stop.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #23  
Couple years ago, I went to town to get some diesel. On way home, down country road, I noticed two dogs standing in middle of road.....there was a third dog laying in the road (dead)

The two dogs were wimpering & howling. Whatever happened had happened fairly recent prior to my arrival. Not knowing the dogs nor "neighbors" (about 3 miles from my home) I went to door of nearest home to let them know.

There was no answer. Were they hiding behind the door wondering who this stranger was? Were they gone? I don't know. There WAS a vehicle there but that doesn't mean anything.

I walked back to my car, the dog was clearly 'gone' so there was nothing I could do for it. Now I'm realizing that it APPEARS as though "I" might have been the one to hit the car and I got suddenly very self conscious because if the owners came outside or drove home, I'm going to likely be the subject of their (incorrect) ire..... so I got in my car and drove home.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #24  
I hit a dog a few years ago. Stopped and it was obvious that it was not going to make it. It had a collar on, naturally I tried to pet the poor dog while I got the number off the tag... He did not appreciate that and I got a pretty hard bite, luckily only superficial no real damage done to my arm. I did get the phone number and called. Turns out the dog belonged to my daughter's boyfriend. I felt really bad.

That being said, if the dog has a collar with contact information on it I will absolutely call. If it runs off and I cant get to it I would probably move on. If there is no collar on or no contact information and it didn't make it, I would make sure to get it off the road, pet it, and move on. Then feel really bad...

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #25  
I hit a dog probably 35 years ago. Late evening, pretty dark out. Came around a curve on a road doing 45-50, and there was a dog standing in the lane. Hit the brakes, and hit the dog. Pulled over as I saw it drag itself under a pine tree. There was a lone house, so I walked back to it and knocked on the door. Guy answered and I asked if he had a black lab. Said he did, and I told him I probably just hit his dog, and we walked over to the pine tree. It was his dog. He was very apologetic to me, and asked if it created any damage to my truck. He thanked me for stopping and carried his dog back to the house. Saw it a week later, in a cast, in the yard. Glad I stopped.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #26  
In Michigan, it's illegal to flee the scene if you hit a pet while you're operating a vehicle. If you hit a pet, you must stop your car and remain at the scene. You must either make contact with the pet's owner and exchange information or call the police.

That being said, there are now people around here (mostly young drivers) who are deliberately hitting animals, joggers, bikers, and walkers. A few have posted their 'success' with glee on Facebook, which eventually gets them into trouble. Forget the justice system, even murderers are just getting probation now. So, guess what ?

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #27  
Too many meth cooks and tweekers in my area to go around knocking on doors.
Found an older dog, laying in the middle of a well traveled two lane near my home. Checked it out, and the dog seemed physically fine but a little confused. Dog had a collar but no tags. I figured the owner must live nearby, so I knocked on doors in a circular sweep, after getting the dog in the car. Most people seemed very pleasant, but some appeared genuinely dangerous, like something you'd see in the movie "deliverance." I could tell I was getting closer, to the owner, as some people started to recognized the dog, accompanied by some sort of complaint about the dog. A couple openly said I should have left the "damn" dog in the road. Eventually did find the owner. Who at first, was very reluctant to admit it was his dog till I told him I didn't hit it, and that I had just found it in the road and wanted to see it safely at home. He was clearly intoxicated, and became belligerent telling me to "Mine My Own Business." Saw no need to escalate, so I just dropped the dog off, "Have a Good Day," and headed home. Being a dog loving person, I assume the owners to also be dog loving people. I don't go looking for the owners anymore if I find one injured or abandoned. I'll put up a flyer, or other community social post, wait a few days, feed the dog in the garage, and if no one responds, the dog goes to the pound. Lots of close calls, but as of yet, I've never hit a dog. If I ever did, locally, I'd stop, check it out and pay for a vet bill if needed. Then try to find the owner in a less direct way then knocking on doors. Driving cross country, or some other area distant from home, I'm not sure what I would do. It would depend on the situation.

Last edited:
   / If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #28  
Never hit a dog but sure as heck left tire marks on the asphalt. I wonder - a dog running loose - does the owner know about this, do they really care. Do you want to interact with a person like this. As I sit here and think about this - I really don't think I would want to.

It's a hard call ........

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #29  
In my state, you are legally required to stop and attempt to locate the owner of the dog.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #30  
Like I said, in my state I am legally required to stop and contact the owners or the police. If no one came running out of a house I would probably just skip to calling the cops and let them deal with it. Even if the owners came out I'd still call the cops there just to CMOA.